Thursday, March 13th, 2014
Hello to our Dance Family!
Welcome to Phil Adams & Mindia Robin's Newsletter: "As the Dancer Turns..."
Time to take another spin with this uplifting issue.
Soap Opera Snippets
A Day in the Life of...
Come out tonight for classes & a dance,
We are your DJs, so it's your best chance...
To move & groove, or stand around & schmooze.
You have nothing to lose; come dance away your blues!
We have had a great time DJing over the last month, & we appreciate the great turn-outs we have had. On the 1st Saturday Dance, after 1 am we still had over 40 people left dancing! We were amazed how many people came early for workshops, despite the stormy-weather weekend. We still had very large workshops, and over 200 people at the dance. It must have been because of that silly poem from the last Newsletter! So I decided to write another one. (Phil just made a face at me; he wants you to know that he helped to write the poems. He says, "There goes Mindia again, trying to take credit for everything." Ok, so what did we agree on a while back? I will give Phil partial credit for helping with the Newsletter.) The energy carried over to last Thursday; we again had many people stay till closing time. See you tonight!
Join us this weekend at the HIGH DESERT DANCE CLASSIC EVENT in Lancaster! We are teaching a "HITTING THE BREAKS/ MUSICALITY WORKSHOP" for West Coast Swing tomorrow, Friday, March 14th at 4 pm. You must be at least Intermediate level; no partner needed. At this event weekend, there will be social dancing for West Coast Swing, Ballroom & Latin. There will also be competitions, performances, & dance competitions for kids! The Event Director is the lovely Lisa Sandoval. See website for more info: www.HighDesertDanceClassic.com
Stay tuned for some exciting news in our next Newsletter for the FREZNO DANCE CLASSIC EVENT in May! See website for more info: www.FreznoDance.com.
FYI: Make sure to read the "Call You Out" section below, every Newsletter. You might be in there...
A FEW SHAMELESS PLUGS
* Reminder that our next 1st SATURDAY WORKSHOP & DANCE EVENT is April 12th, 2014 at the Hacienda. Open Dancing with DJ Jumpin' Jack!
*NOTE* This is the 2nd Saturday (just for the month of April).
*Please check out the "New Highlights" section below for more updates.
Call You Out!
Here is where we get to pick on our readers (instead of each other).
You may not know, but Alan helps me with the layout structure on our class schedule flyers. I had recently sent him some edit updates, & was waiting for him to email me back the changes to proof. Nothing came. A few days later, I asked Phil & he said that he got the updated flyers earlier in the week. Who is in charge here, Alan? Really, Phil proof anything? (That was actually Phil's comment haha!) So I had Alan re-send them, & he forgot a second time to forward the edits to me. Phil got them instead; he is feeling very special right now. On one of the edits, Alan had misspelled my name in our new website address. I wonder how much Phil paid him off for these favors...
Hey Anne... you might be next to be called out haha!
Tune-up Your Playlist
We want to share with you our favorite songs of the week!
Mindia's Pick: "Club Thing" by Yoav (WCS)
Phil's Pick: "Walk On" by Ruthie Foster (WCS)
Please let us know if you have songs to add, or other ideas for our Newsletter Re-birthing. And thank you Shavonne, for suggesting to add song choices.
Takin' Care of Business
* DANCE DVD'S!
We have two new DVD's coming out very soon... Beginner West Coast Swing & Intermediate West Coast Swing! Stay tuned for more details. They are almost ready... for real.
* Please add our new joint business e-mail to your contact/address book, to avoid Spam difficulties: info@PhilAndMindiaDance.com. Please use this contact for any future communications.
* Our next 1st SATURDAY WORKSHOP & DANCE EVENT at the Hacienda Hotel is April 12th, 2014! (Click link at the top for details.) (Must be at least 21 years old to attend any Hacienda workshops. classes, or dances.) *NOTE* This event is on the 2nd Saturday, just for the month of April. SAVE THESE UPCOMING DATES for the next few 1st Saturday Events: May 3rd, June 7th, & July 5th, 2014!
* All of our classes are drop-in (some do run in a series). No partner needed for any of our classes. No prior dance experience needed for Beginner classes. Two left feet are welcomed; we will introduce you to your right foot! (Phil wanted credit for that last comment.)
* Come out for classes & dancing on THURSDAYS at the HACIENDA! (For details click link at the top: Weekly Classes Hacienda.) I teach a FREE Beginner 1 West Coast Swing (Intro) class at 6:30 pm every Thursday.
* Once you have moved up from our Beginner level classes to Intermediate and then later Advanced, you are welcome to continue taking our Beginner classes for FREE! We want to encourage you to continue working on your basics; that is most important to develop a strong foundation. The best dancers usually are the ones who have worked on their basics for years. When you keep taking Beginner classes, you are also helping the new students to progress faster, since they get to rotate & dance with more experienced dancers.
* HACIENDA HOTEL SUPPORT NEEDED: As you may have heard, new owners have taken over the hotel. It is crucial that we show them that the dancing brings in significant revenue. We need to do all that we can to keep this amazing venue for dancing alive! Please support the bar w/ a minimum purchase. If you order food from Sheila or the bartenders, the bill will go towards the bar tab for the night, which is helpful. Ordering food from the restaurant does not count towards the evening's bar tab. There are now four dance floors, so spread the word & bring your friends. PARKING: There is a Hacienda parking lot across the street (entrance on Mariposa St.). Three hours free with validation at the bar (just buy a drink or food).
* We will be back teaching at CCR DANCE the 3rd Saturday of April at the Clubhouse in Placentia (formerly the Atomic). We are both available for private lessons there, but with limited space & time slots. Please schedule in advance.
We hope that you have enjoyed this episode of "As the Dancer Turns..." I know that we have! Stay tuned for more entertaining issues.
Please explore our website for more info. We are also available for private dance lessons. Send us Facebook friend requests if you want to be informed/ updated by our Newsfeed and Wall Posts. Hope to see you dancing soon,
Mindia... & Phil ;-)