Friday May 15, 2015
Hello to our Dance Family!
Welcome to Phil Adams & Mindia Robin's Newsletter: "As the Dancer Turns..."
Time to take another spin with this uplifting issue.
Soap Opera Snippets
A Day in the Life of...
My Summer Break is finally here yay... at least from school haha! So sorry we missed too much time again since the last newsletter; we hope you missed us! It has been a very eventful past month. I completed my 2nd semester at school. I got an "A" in jazz, & am impatiently awaiting my ballet grade (hoping for an "A" of course). Phil is still waiting to receive his "report card" from last fall; I tried telling him that they don't give you those like in the old days. (For Phil, it was back in ancient times.) Now everything is done electronically. It took me the whole 1st semester to figure out Beach Board, the sophisticated computer program at CSULB through which our teachers communicate. It's hard to avoid running into age issues at school. One time my teacher put us into pairs, & said for the older one to go in the first group. I laughed, & told my partner not to bother asking my age! Just put me in the first group. Another time, my other teacher told us that when we get old, we will have many aches & pains etc.; she is only 30ish. If she had only known my age. And yet another teacher used to reference very old movies, which the 18 & 19 year olds in class knew nothing about. Then he would add, "Mindia knows exactly what I'm talking about!" Yes, he knew my secret.
IMPORTANT 3rd SATURDAY UPDATE!
We will NOT be teaching at the CCR Event in OC tomorrow night, May 16th. BUT WE WILL BE AT MARTIN PARKER'S 3rd SATURDAY DANCE as GUEST DJs! Come join us! Location: DanScene Studio in Costa Mesa.
DANCE TEAM APPLAUSE!!!
We are so proud of our dance team for their performance at our last 1st Saturday Dance at the Hacienda (which, by the way, was beyond amazing!). Come to Fresno this weekend to see them perform again! It's such a fun event, & we will be teaching workshops as well. (Details below.) We are looking for a few more new people to join our team; there are requirements. Contact us if interested. WE WILL BE TEACHING OUR USUAL CLASSES at the HACIENDA THURSDAY, MAY 22nd, & WILL BE CELEBRATING SHEILA'S BIRTHDAY (OUR ENTERTAINING COCKTAIL WAITRESS)!
AND NOW FOR PHIL'S TIME TO SHARE:
As you know, Phil has had some knee issues. He has had four injections (PRP & lubricant). After the last one, he was laying on the couch in distress. He actually wanted me to do the dishes that night! What??? I am never on kitchen duty. Which means... I don't go grocery shopping. I don't do meal planning (unless I'm choosing the restaurant we will eat at). I don't cook. I certainly don't clean up. I never empty the dishwasher. Recently I had some company when Phil wasn't home. PJ brought dessert, which he wanted to get ready a few hours after we had dinner. Wait a minute, I did plan dinner that night; I called Dominos for pizza haha! He asked me for potholders, & then it hit me that I needed to know how to turn on the oven to warm up the apple crisp that PJ had made! I had to confess to him, Ben & Torri that I had never used our oven before. I was helpless & hopeless. Good thing PJ was able to figure it out. (In my defense: our oven is a high tech electric stove. Not a basic gas range. BTW, Phil is laughing at me right now. And we have only been living in this house since August; not even a full year. Although, I would guess that if we had been living here ten years already, it would have been the same situation anyway lol!) Stay tuned for the story in the next newsletter about all the things I do take care of in this relationship. Such as this fun newsletter! Well it looks like Phil's share is TBC (to be continued) as well. He is disappointed & grumpy.
MY TUESDAY DANCE CLASSES WILL BE CONTINUING at the WOMAN'S CLUB in EL SEGUNDO!
6:30 pm INTERMEDIATE WEST COAST SWING $10
7:30 pm BEGINNER WEST COAST SWING $10...
FREE for 1st timers (Beginner class)
GREAT DANCE FLOOR! EASY, FREE PARKING: In lot next to the building (enter from the drive way off of Mariposa Street), or street parking, or public parking lot across Main Street. Location is near the intersection of Mariposa & Main Streets (very close to Masonic Temple). You will see the building easiest from Mariposa Street (the side street that the Hacienda is on). It is next to the United Methodist Church, close to Main Street. No partner needed for classes. No bar, bring water. Ages 17 & up.
EL SEGUNDO WOMAN'S CLUB
541 STANDARD STREET, EL SEGUNDO, CA 90245
FYI: PRIVATE LESSONS: *We are available for private dance lessons throughout the week; contact us about scheduling. You can also split privates with another person for the same cost. Let us know if you are looking for somebody to share a lesson with; we can help you. We have a few guys looking for ladies right now. Also 30 minute privates may be available if you can't find somebody to split one with.
*You can now use the same punch card for my classes, or Phil's classes. See below for details about punch cards.
THURSDAY DJ NIGHTS at the HACIENDA: MAY 14th, & 28th, JUNE 4th & 25th, 2015: Upcoming DJ nights for us on Thursdays at the Hacienda for the Swing Dance after our usual classes. (See link above for details.)
*Next 1st SATURDAY WORKSHOP & SWING DANCE at the HACIENDA (Double H Club) JUNE 6th, 2015! We are your DJs. We are having our usual 1st Saturday Workshop & Swing Dance Event at the Hacienda. (See link above for details.)
*Join us for a great weekend at FREZNO DANCE CLASSIC... STEVE ZENER'S FABULOUS EVENT... COMING MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND MAY, 2015! Our Dance Team will perform a new routine on SATURDAY, MAY 23rd at 4 pm! Phil & I will be teaching workshops! For more info on Facebook about the FreZno Dance Classic Event, please join the group FreZno Dance Classic. Don't miss out on all the fun! For more info, visit: www.FreznoDance.com.
Don't Miss Out!
Make sure you read the "CALL YOU OUT" section below every newsletter; you may be in there!
Also check below in "TUNE-UP YOUR PLAYLIST" for songs picks!
We have two DVDs available, Beginner & Intermediate WCS. You can purchase them with a credit card in person (cash or check is fine also),or through our web store! More info about payment & options under Highlights.
We have punch cards available for purchase: ten classes for $100 w/ the eleventh class FREE! You can use the card for my classes or Phil's classes. Punch cards do not expire. We do take credit cards in person or through our web-store.
* We are available for PRIVATE LESSONS throughout the week; contact us to schedule. You get a $5 discount per DVD when you do a private!
*1st TIMERS FREE for my Beginner WCS class on Tuesdays at 7:30pm at the EL SEGUNDO WOMAN'S CLUB... bring your friends!
*Please check the "Highlights" section below for more info.
Call You Out!
Here is where we get to pick on our readers (instead of each other)!
Phil is calling out the ladies who didn't want to come out in the rain last night! Because of you, he had to relinquish the front floor to me for class. I say, "Thank you, ladies haha! Good work." (Do I really need to quote myself talking here???)
Tune-up Your Playlist
We want to share with you our favorite songs of the week!
Mindia's Picks: "Purify Me" by India Arie; "Can't get Enough" by Yeah Boy (WCS)
Phil's Picks: "Marvin Gaye" by Charlie Puth; "I'll Make You Dance" by Elliott Yamin (WCS)
Please let us know if you have songs to add, or other ideas for our Newsletter Re-birthing. And thank you Shavonne, for suggesting to add song choices.
Takin' Care of Business
* DANCE DVD'S!
Payment & Options: DVDs are $35 each. Credit card payments are available in person, (or cash or check in person is fine also), or through our web store. If order your DVDs through our website, you have the option to click the "pick up at class" option (to avoid shipping charges), or you can have them shipped.
* Please add our joint business e-mail to your contact/address book, to avoid Spam difficulties: info@PhilAndMindiaDance.com Please use this contact for any future communications.
* UPCOMING 1st SATURDAY WORKSHOP & SWING DANCE EVENT at the HACIENDA (Double H Club): JUNE 6th, 2015. We are your DJs. (Click link at the top for details.) (Must be at least 21 years old to attend any Hacienda workshops. classes, or dances.) SAVE THESE UPCOMING DATES: JULY 4th PHIL's BIRTHDAY PARTY, AUGUST 1st, & SEPTEMBER 12th MINDIA'S BIRTHDAY PARTY, 2015. We are always your DJs, unless otherwise noted.
* UPCOMING 3rd SATURDAY: NEXT DATE TBA: GUEST INSTRUCTORS CHRISTIAN COUNTRY ROUND-UP DANCE: ALL ARE WELCOME! FREE FOR FIRST TIMERS! You can usually find us at the Clubhouse in Placentia (formerly the Atomic) on the 3rd Saturday of each month at the CCR Dance. We teach two Intermediate classes TBA at 6:45 pm, & WEST COAST SWING at 7:25 pm (must know your basics). There is usually a theme & treats! (There are also Beginner classes.) Open Dancing is a mix of music. FIRST TIMERS FREE (except on a few special occasions). We are both available for private lessons there, but with limited space & time slots. Please schedule in advance. Location:
The Clubhouse 733 Dunn Way
Placentia, CA 92870
COST: $20, or $15 for SoCal Christian Dance Club Members. Membership is only $20 for the entire year.
* All of our classes are drop-in (some do run in a series). No partner needed for any of our classes. No prior dance experience needed for Beginner classes. Two left feet are welcomed; we will introduce you to your right foot! (Phil wanted credit for that last comment.)
* Come out for classes & dancing on THURSDAYS at the HACIENDA! (For details click link at the top: Weekly Classes Hacienda.) I teach a FREE Beginner 1 West Coast Swing (Intro) class at 6:30 pm every Thursday.
* Once you have moved up from our Beginner level classes to Intermediate and then later Advanced, you are welcome to continue taking our Beginner classes for FREE! We want to encourage you to continue working on your basics; that is most important to develop a strong foundation. The best dancers usually are the ones who have worked on their basics for years. When you keep taking Beginner classes, you are also helping the new students to progress faster, since they get to rotate & dance with more experienced dancers.
* HACIENDA (Double H Club) SUPPORT NEEDED:
As you may have heard, new owners have taken over the hotel. It is crucial that we show them that the dancing brings in significant revenue. We need to do all that we can to keep this amazing venue for dancing alive! Please support the bar w/ a minimum purchase. Even though the restaurant is temporarily closed due to construction, you can still order food (limited menu) from Sheila or the bartenders; the bill will go towards the bar tab for the night, which is helpful.
We hope that you have enjoyed this episode of "As the Dancer Turns..." I know that we have! Stay tuned for more entertaining issues.
Please explore our website for more info. We are also available for private dance lessons. Send us Facebook friend requests if you want to be informed/updated by our Newsfeed and Wall Posts. Pease forward this to friends to spread the word!
Hope to see you dancing soon,
Mindia... & Phil ;-)