Tuesday April 7th, 2015
Hello to our Dance Family!
Welcome to Phil Adams & Mindia Robin's Newsletter: "As the Dancer Turns..."
Time to take another spin with this uplifting issue.
Soap Opera Snippets
A Day in the Life of...
In the process of finding a guy to dance with one of my students for her private lesson, I realized that I really dislike the label "Dance Dummy." So I decided to have a contest to pick a new name. Somebody named David suggested "Dance Stud!" Although there are many Davids in our community; you might guess which one it was haha! One of the ladies went in the direction of "Dance Escort" or "Dance Gigolo." Phil is adding that those namings all occurred at my new Tuesday venue. Does that make you want to come check us out lol! We need a name for the ladies as well. Perhaps "Dance Diva," "Dance Goddess," or Phil's idea, "Dance Darling." So give us your best stuff! Winner gets a FREE group class with Phil, one FREE group class with me, as well as a FREE DVD. (What happens if Phil & I disagree about who the winner should be? Same as what usually happens lol! I get my way.)
MY TUESDAY DANCE CLASSES WILL BE CONTINUING at the WOMAN'S CLUB in EL SEGUNDO!
6:30 pm INTERMEDIATE WEST COAST SWING $10
7:30 pm BEGINNER WEST COAST SWING $10...
FREE for 1st timers (Beginner class)
GREAT DANCE FLOOR!
FREE PARKING: In lot next to the building (enter from the drive way off of Mariposa Street), or street parking, or public parking lot across Main Street. Location is near the intersection of Mariposa & Main Streets (very close to Masonic Temple). You will see the building easiest from Mariposa Street (the side street that the Hacienda is on). It is next to the United Methodist Church, close to Main Street. No partner needed for classes. No bar, bring water. Ages 17 & up.
EL SEGUNDO WOMAN'S CLUB
541 STANDARD STREET, EL SEGUNDO, CA 90245
FYI: PRIVATE LESSONS
*We are available for private dance lessons throughout the week; contact us about scheduling. You can also split privates with another person for the same cost. Let us know if you are looking for somebody to share a lesson with; we can help you. We have a few guys looking for ladies right now. Also 30 minute privates may be available if you can't find somebody to split one with.
*You can now use the same punch card for my classes, or Phil's classes. See below for details about punch cards.
*3rd SATURDAY, April 18th, 2015: GUEST INSTRUCTORS CHRISTIAN COUNTRY ROUND-UP DANCE: ALL ARE WELCOME! FREE FOR FIRST TIMERS! You can usually find us at the Clubhouse in Placentia (formerly the Atomic) on the 3rd Saturday of each month at the CCR Dance. We teach two Intermediate classes, TBA at 6:45pm, & WEST COAST SWING at 7:25pm (must know your basics). There is usually a theme & treats! (There are also Beginner classes.) Open Dancing is a mix of country & other music. See below for details.
*4th SATURDAY DIAMOND SWING DANCE: GUEST INSTRUCTORS on APRIL 25TH, 2015 in TORRANCE!
7:30 pm Intermediate West Coast Swing; no partner needed.
8:30 pm Open Dancing w/ DJ Helen Tocco!
IM Happy Dance Studio
4343 Spencer Street, Torrance, CA 90503
*THURSDAY DJ NIGHTS at the HACIENDA: THREE NIGHTS IN APRIL! APRIL 2nd, 16th, & 30th, 2015: Upcoming DJ nights for us on Thursdays at the Hacienda for the Swing Dance after our usual classes. (See link above for details.)
*Next 1st SATURDAY WORKSHOP & SWING DANCE at the HACIENDA MAY 2nd, 2015! We are your DJs. We are having our usual 1st Saturday Workshop & Swing Dance Event at the Hacienda. (See link above for details.)
*Join us for a great weekend at Frezno Dance Classic... STEVE ZENER'S FABULOUS EVENT... COMING MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND IN MAY, 2015! Our Dance Team will perform a new routine! Phil & I will be teaching workshops! For more info on Facebook about the FreZno Dance Classic Event, please join the group FreZno Dance Classic. Don't miss out on all the fun! For more info, visit: www.FreznoDance.com.
Don't Miss Out!
Make sure you read the "CALL YOU OUT" section below every newsletter; you may be in there! Also check below in "TUNE-UP YOUR PLAYLIST" for songs picks!
We have two DVDs available, Beginner & Intermediate WCS. You can purchase them with a credit card in person (cash or check is fine also),or through our web store! More info about payment & options under Highlights.
We have punch cards available for purchase: ten classes for $100 w/ the eleventh class FREE! You can use the card for my classes or Phil's classes. Punch cards do not expire. We do take credit cards in person or through our web-store.
* We are available for PRIVATE LESSONS throughout the week; contact us to schedule. You get a $5 discount per DVD when you do a private!
*1st TIMERS FREE for my Beginner WCS class on Tuesdays at 7:30pm at the EL SEGUNDO WOMAN'S CLUB... bring your friends!
*Please check the "Highlights" section below for more info.
Call You Out!
Here is where we get to pick on our readers (instead of each other)!
Helen suggested that I call myself out for putting the wrong street address for my new Tuesday venue at the El Segundo Woman's Club haha! Might as well add on that I mixed up Zener's web address for the Frezno event! When is my real vacation coming???
Tune-up Your Playlist
We want to share with you our favorite songs of the week!
Mindia's Picks: "All About It" by Hoodie Allen & Ed Sheeran (WCS)
Phil's Picks: "Enough is Enough" by Benita Washington (WCS)
Please let us know if you have songs to add, or other ideas for our Newsletter Re-birthing. And thank you Shavonne, for suggesting to add song choices.
Takin' Care of Business
* DANCE DVD'S!
Payment & Options: DVDs are $35 each. Credit card payments are available in person, (or cash or check in person is fine also), or through our web store. If order your DVDs through our website, you have the option to click the "pick up at class" option (to avoid shipping charges), or you can have them shipped.
* Please add our joint business e-mail to your contact/address book, to avoid Spam difficulties: info@PhilAndMindiaDance.com Please use this contact for any future communications.
* UPCOMING 1st SATURDAY WORKSHOP & SWING DANCE EVENT at the Hacienda: MAY 2nd, 2015. We are your DJs. (Click link at the top for details.) (Must be at least 21 years old to attend any Hacienda workshops. classes, or dances.) SAVE THESE UPCOMING DATES:
JUNE 6th, JULY 4th PHIL's BIRTHDAY PARTY, & AUGUST 1st, 2015. We are always your DJs, unless otherwise noted
* UPCOMING 3rd SATURDAY, April 18th, 2015: GUEST INSTRUCTORS CHRISTIAN COUNTRY ROUND-UP DANCE: ALL ARE WELCOME! FREE FOR FIRST TIMERS! You can usually find us at the Clubhouse in Placentia (formerly the Atomic) on the 3rd Saturday of each month at the CCR Dance. We teach two Intermediate classes TBA at 6:45 pm, & WEST COAST SWING at 7:25 pm (must know your basics). There is usually a theme & treats! (There are also Beginner classes.) Open Dancing is a mix of music. FIRST TIMERS FREE (except on a few special occasions). We are both available for private lessons there, but with limited space & time slots. Please schedule in advance.
733 Dunn Way
Placentia, CA 92870
COST: $20, or $15 for SoCal Christian Dance Club Members. Membership is only $20 for the entire year.
* All of our classes are drop-in (some do run in a series). No partner needed for any of our classes. No prior dance experience needed for Beginner classes. Two left feet are welcomed; we will introduce you to your right foot! (Phil wanted credit for that last comment.)
* Come out for classes & dancing on THURSDAYS at the HACIENDA! (For details click link at the top: Weekly Classes Hacienda.) I teach a FREE Beginner 1 West Coast Swing (Intro) class at 6:30 pm every Thursday.
* Once you have moved up from our Beginner level classes to Intermediate and then later Advanced, you are welcome to continue taking our Beginner classes for FREE! We want to encourage you to continue working on your basics; that is most important to develop a strong foundation. The best dancers usually are the ones who have worked on their basics for years. When you keep taking Beginner classes, you are also helping the new students to progress faster, since they get to rotate & dance with more experienced dancers.
* HACIENDA (Double H Club) SUPPORT NEEDED: As you may have heard, new owners have taken over the hotel. It is crucial that we show them that the dancing brings in significant revenue. We need to do all that we can to keep this amazing venue for dancing alive! Please support the bar w/ a minimum purchase. Even though the restaurant is temporarily closed due to construction, you can still order food (limited menu) from Sheila or the bartenders; the bill will go towards the bar tab for the night, which is helpful.
We hope that you have enjoyed this episode of "As the Dancer Turns..." I know that we have! Stay tuned for more entertaining issues.
Please explore our website for more info. We are also available for private dance lessons. Send us Facebook friend requests if you want to be informed/updated by our Newsfeed and Wall Posts. Pease forward this to friends to spread the word!
Hope to see you dancing soon,
Mindia... & Phil ;-)