Saturday March 31st, 2015
Hello to our Dance Family!
Welcome to Phil Adams & Mindia Robin's Newsletter: "As the Dancer Turns..."
Time to take another spin with this uplifting issue.
Soap Opera Snippets
A Day in the Life of...
We want to start by giving you an update on Phil's knee status... For those who don't know, he has had some issues, & his orthopedist has recommended a series of injections (HA & PRP) to help with healing, along with Physical Therapy. We are going conservatively, in the hopes to avoid surgery. I insisted on going with Phil to get his first injection, so I could hold his hand. I'm sure that embarrassed his macho nature, but don't forget, my first career, I was a Physical Therapist (Sports Medicine). I am fascinated by the new advances in medicine! I have been away from the field a very, very, very long time. While we were waiting for the doctor to come in, the office was playing some cool music. (Turns out that the doctor's associate loves hip hop music!) So of course we were shazam-ing. Then I felt the urge to dance; I started practicing my jazz choreography. Phil did all he could to get me to stop; he was afraid the doctor would walk in! I thought it was a helpful distraction. (And I did get an "A" on my skills test & choreography movement exam!) Luckily for Phil, the doctor walked in between songs (& they do usually knock first haha!). Super Phil didn't even flinch when he got the shot, but later admitted it really hurt. (Phil wants me to delete the "really" in front of hurt.) Then I had to embarrass Phil one more time. I asked his doctor if he would give Phil a script for pain medication. The doctor chuckled, & said to Phil, "No. Just man up!" Phil has a follow-up injection next week; he scheduled it for while I am busy at school. Hmmmm... I'm sure that was no accident. Btw, his knee seems to be feeling a little better.
Time for a dinner break right now... we are meeting the Zeners & the Straights in Newport Beach! And yes Steve... we are bringing our dance team to your fabulous event FREZNO DANCE CLASSIC!!! (Perfect opportunity to plug.) Mark you calendars for Memorial Day weekend in May; join us in Fresno for a fun & highly entertaining Country & Swing Dance Event! Phil & I will be teaching workshops as usual. Go to www.FreznoDanceClassic.com for details.
We are back from dinner; it was tough to break away, but we have so much work to do. Our table was full of great company, good food, lots of laughs, stories that can't be repeated, & grape wisdom from Farmer Steve. Patty got more than a consultation on growing grapevines. We learned that grapes don't have branches, that two fruit canes are inadequate, & that crimson grapes are preferred for eating. Another highlight was Steve's informing us about twins who are on the Home & Garden channel who look like Phil. He thinks they could be related. Steve looked at Phil, & said, "Phil is a man of distinction, continually evolving." Well that's because he hangs out with me haha! Anyway, so nice to spend some quality time with Heather & Steve, & Randy & Patty. Now back to work!
ANOTHER IMPORTANT UPDATE for my TUESDAY VENUE: NOW at the WOMAN'S CLUB in EL SEGUNDO! I will be continuing my usual Tuesday West Coast Swing Dance Classes at a NEW VENUE: EL SEGUNDO WOMAN'S CLUB STARTING NEXT WEEK, Tuesday, March 24th, 2015.
6:30 pm INTERMEDIATE WEST COAST SWING $10
7:30 pm BEGINNER WEST COAST SWING $10...
FREE for 1st timers (Beginner class)
8:30 pm PRACTICE TIME following classes
GREAT DANCE FLOOR!
Following classes, you don't have to rush out. You can stay & practice.
PARKING: In lot next to the building, or street parking, or public parking lot across Main Street. Location is near the intersection of Mariposa & Main Streets (very close to Masonic Temple). No partner needed for classes. No bar, so bring water. Ages 17 & up is ok.
EL SEGUNDO WOMAN'S CLUB
521 STANDARD STREET, EL SEGUNDO, CA 90245
Please come out & support! We need to keep the good energy flowing. And the cost is higher for the venue. We tried the venue at Masonic Temple the last few weeks, but had issues with a sticky floor. I looked & looked with great effort for a better option; so what I found is definitely a big improvement with the floor! Please spread the word, share my FB invite, & keep coming out to dance!
It has been difficult to find a venue for our Swingin the Club event; we are still looking & hope this is a temporary situation. We plan to bring back the Guest Instructors for Advanced classes, & rotating DJs for the dance as soon as we can move to the right space! Keep checking our website for updates, or contact me with questions. We are open to suggestions.
PHIL & I WILL STILL BE AT THE HACIENDA TEACHING WITH OUR USUAL SCHEDULE EVERY THURSDAY & 1ST SATURDAYS. PHIL STILL HAS HIS USUAL TUESDAY CLASSES AT MEMORIES IN WHITTIER, & WILL BE UNAFFECTED BY THE CHANGES.
PLEASE CONTINUE TO SUPPORT US...
WHAT CAN YOU DO TO HELP? COME SUPPORT MY CLASSES AT THE WOMAN'S CLUB! PUT THE WORD OUT ABOUT US STILL BEING AT THE HACIENDA ON THURSDAYS & 1ST SATURDAYS. COME OUT & DANCE & SUPPORT THE BAR AT THE HACIENDA. BETTER YET, BUY A ROUND OF DRINKS FOR EVERYONE LOL! BRING YOUR FRIENDS BACK THAT LEFT. BRING NEW FRIENDS. SHARE OUR FACEBOOK POSTS. LIKE OUR FB POSTS. JOIN OUR FB INVITES. COMMENT ON FB POSTS. READ & RAVE ABOUT OUR NEWSLETTER. HELP KEEP OUR AMAZING DANCE FAMILY GROWING STRONG! ETC.
***********AND MOST IMPORTANT***********
DURING THIS DIFFICULT TRANSITION, PLEASE SEND ALL GIFTS (CASH, GIFT CARDS, CHECKS, & SO FORTH) TO OUR POBOX IN MANHATTAN BEACH. WE WILL GET A BIGGER BOX HAHA!
NEEDED A MOMENT OF LEVITY!!!!!!
WE LOVE YOU! MINDIA & PHIL
FYI: Private Lessons:
*We are available for private dance lessons throughout the week; contact us about scheduling. *You can now use the same punch card for my classes, or Phil's classes. See below for details about punch cards.
*LANCASTER CLASSES W/ PHIL AT HIGH DESERT DANCE COMPANY CANCELLED WEDNESDAY, 25TH, 2015. (Jason Disbrow will be teaching Beginner/Intermediate WCS at 6 pm.)
*1st SATURDAY WORKSHOP & SWING DANCE at the HACIENDA HOTEL APRIL 4TH, 2015: We are having our usual 1st Saturday Workshop & Swing Dance Event at the Hacienda. (See link above for details.)
*4th SATURDAY DIAMOND SWING DANCE: WE ARE GUEST INSTRUCTORS on APRIL 25TH, 2015 in TORRANCE! 7:30 pm Intermediate West Coast Swing; no partner needed. LOCATION:
IM Happy Dance Studio
4343 Spencer Street, Torrance, CA 90503
*THURSDAY DJ NIGHTS at the HACIENDA: THREE NIGHTS IN APRIL! APRIL 2nd, 16th, & 30th, 2015: Upcoming DJ nights for us on Thursdays at the Hacienda for the Swing Dance after our usual classes. (See link above for details.)
Don't Miss Out!
Make sure you read the "CALL YOU OUT" section below every newsletter; you may be in there!
Also check below in "TUNE-UP YOUR PLAYLIST" for songs picks!
We have two DVDs available, Beginner & Intermediate WCS. You can purchase them with a credit card in person (cash or check is fine also),or through our web store! More info about payment & options under Highlights.
*PUNCH CARDS! We have punch cards available for purchase: ten classes for $100 w/ the eleventh class FREE! You can use the card for my classes or Phil's classes. Punch cards do not expire. We do take credit cards in person or through our web-store.
* We are available for PRIVATE LESSONS throughout the week; contact us to schedule. You get a $5 discount per DVD when you do a private!
*1st TIMERS FREE for my Beginner WCS class on Tuesdays at 7:30pm at the EL SEGUNDO WOMAN'S CLUB... bring your friends!
*Please check the "Highlights" section below for more info.
Call You Out!
Here is where we get to pick on our readers (instead of each other)!
I am calling out Joe S. In our last newsletter, I told the story of my recent dance competition win, & how Phil was afraid of my head getting too big. So Joe sent us an email response & wrote, "Petite body & over-sized head means Phil can let you ride on the dashboard like a bobblehead." Next time Joe will pick on Phil haha!
Tune-up Your Playlist
We want to share with you our favorite songs of the week!
Mindia's Picks: "Close to My Fire" by Beth Hart & Joe Bonamassa (WCS)
Phil's Picks: "The Weekend" by Eden XO (WCS)
Please let us know if you have songs to add, or other ideas for our Newsletter Re-birthing. And thank you Shavonne, for suggesting to add song choices.
Takin' Care of Business
* DANCE DVD'S!
Payment & Options: DVDs are $35 each. Credit card payments are available in person, (or cash or check in person is fine also), or through our web store. If order your DVDs through our website, you have the option to click the "pick up at class" option (to avoid shipping charges), or you can have them shipped.
* Please add our joint business e-mail to your contact/address book, to avoid Spam difficulties: info@PhilAndMindiaDance.com Please use this contact for any future communications.
* UPCOMING 1st SATURDAY WORKSHOP & SWING DANCE EVENTS at the Hacienda Hotel: April 4th, 2015. (Click link at the top for details.) (Must be at least 21 years old to attend any Hacienda workshops. classes, or dances.) SAVE THESE UPCOMING DATES: May 2nd, & June 6th, 2015. We are always your DJs, unless otherwise noted.
* UPCOMING 3rd SATURDAY, April 18th, 2015: GUEST INSTRUCTORS CHRISTIAN COUNTRY ROUND-UP DANCE: ALL ARE WELCOME! FREE FOR FIRST TIMERS! You can usually find us at the Clubhouse in Placentia (formerly the Atomic) on the 3rd Saturday of each month at the CCR Dance. We teach two Intermediate classes this month, TBA at 6:45 pm, & WEST COAST SWING at 7:25 pm (must know your basics). There is usually a theme & treats! (There are also Beginner classes.) Open Dancing is a mix of music. FIRST TIMERS FREE (except on a few special occasions). We are both available for private lessons there, but with limited space & time slots. Please schedule in advance. Location: The Clubhouse 733 Dunn Way, Placentia, CA 92870. COST: $20, or $15 for SoCal Christian Dance Club Members. Membership is only $20 for the entire year.
* All of our classes are drop-in (some do run in a series). No partner needed for any of our classes. No prior dance experience needed for Beginner classes. Two left feet are welcomed; we will introduce you to your right foot! (Phil wanted credit for that last comment.)
* Come out for classes & dancing on THURSDAYS at the HACIENDA! (For details click link at the top: Weekly Classes Hacienda.) I teach a FREE Beginner 1 West Coast Swing (Intro) class at 6:30 pm every Thursday.
* Once you have moved up from our Beginner level classes to Intermediate and then later Advanced, you are welcome to continue taking our Beginner classes for FREE! We want to encourage you to continue working on your basics; that is most important to develop a strong foundation. The best dancers usually are the ones who have worked on their basics for years. When you keep taking Beginner classes, you are also helping the new students to progress faster, since they get to rotate & dance with more experienced dancers.
* HACIENDA HOTEL SUPPORT NEEDED: As you may have heard, new owners have taken over the hotel. It is crucial that we show them that the dancing brings in significant revenue. We need to do all that we can to keep this amazing venue for dancing alive! Please support the bar w/ a minimum purchase. Even though the restaurant is temporarily closed due to construction, you can still order food (limited menu) from Sheila or the bartenders; the bill will go towards the bar tab for the night, which is helpful.
We hope that you have enjoyed this episode of "As the Dancer Turns..." I know that we have! Stay tuned for more entertaining issues.
Please explore our website for more info. We are also available for private dance lessons. Send us Facebook friend requests if you want to be informed/updated by our Newsfeed and Wall Posts. Pease forward this to friends to spread the word!
Hope to see you dancing soon,
Mindia... & Phil ;-)