Monday March 16th, 2016
Hello to our Dance Family!
Welcome to Phil Adams & Mindia Robin's Newsletter: "As the Dancer Turns..."
Time to take another spin with this uplifting issue.
Soap Opera Snippets
A Day in the Life of...
I just realized that this is two Sundays in a row that we are working/writing, to do the newsletter for you. We rarely work on Sundays; or it used to be that way anyway. Phil interjects, "We work every Sunday. And she is writing this newsletter for herself; to brag about this weekend, & to promote her Tuesday classes lol!" Well excuse me Mr. Hall of Fame ... I'm quickly turning that Mr. into a Miss for myself haha! I have only competed a few times in the last two years; I have been focused on teaching, & my dance training/ going back to school (I'm taking jazz & ballet this semester). But I had the opportunity to do a Strictly Swing competition at the High Desert Dance Classic Event this weekend. (Phil is getting impatient with my storytelling; he wants to watch "The Voice" on TV.) So I got to compete with PJ Fritzler, an amazing dancer & friend. A Strictly Swing is when you get to choose the partner you will dance with. (As opposed to a Jack & Jill contest, where you get random partners to dance with.) Knowing me, I probably would not be telling this story unless we won! (Phil agreed, & he wants to remind me to add that there were 23 couples. Although he is worried that my petite body can no longer support the size of my head!) Very exciting for me... Thank you PJ for making this happen. So much fun.
MORE UPDATE INFO... & some humor!
THANKS SO MUCH TO EVERYONE WHO CAME OUT TO MASONIC TEMPLE LAST TUESDAY; WE HAD A GREAT TURN-OUT! MASONIC WILL BE A TEMPORARY VENUE FOR MY WEEKLY TUESDAY CLASSES IN EL SEGUNDO. WE WILL BE THERE AGAIN THIS COMING TUESDAY, MARCH 17th, 2015!!! THERE IS A BIG DANCE FLOOR, WITH LOTS OF EASY PARKING. There is a free lot right behind the building, & also street parking nearby.
The floor is sticky; I spoke to the management about it; they are looking into it. For now, plastic or leather soled shoes that slide are better to wear. Unless we want to dance in socks haha!
SPEAKING OF SOCKS...
Phil was wearing a suit & tie this weekend (he needs me to add that he was Head Judge; his turn to brag). He looked so handsome with his black & burgundy threads; too bad it got ruined by the neon orangey-reddish & black Superman socks. And I thought it was bad when he used to wear white sweat socks with his suit pants! It took me years to get that to change, but now I think the Superman socks are even worse than the white ones were. Soon after we moved to Long Beach, Phil got his hip, new hairstyle. Now it's the new, wild sock collection (which I had nothing to do with). What will be next? He just threatened to get Scooby Doo socks. Oy vey! (I had to look up the spelling again.) At the event this weekend, Jackie Ford told Phil that he should get purple streaks in his hair (to match mine). He just said, "What about blue?" See "Call You Out" section below for more...
MY CLASS SCHEDULE IS THE SAME:
6:30 pm INTERMEDIATE WEST COAST SWING
7:30 pm BEGINNER WEST COAST SWING; FREE for 1st timers.
No partner needed for classes. There is no dance after classes for now.
520 Main Street
El Segundo, CA 90245
THERE IS NO BAR, SO PEOPLE AGES 17 & UP CAN COME, IF THEY WILL PARTICIPATE IN CLASS! YOU CAN BRING YOUR OWN WATER ALSO. PLEASE COME SUPPORT THIS TUESDAY; THE COST IS MUCH MORE TO RENT THE SPACE, & WE WANT TO KEEP THE FUN CLASSES ROLLING RIGHT ALONG!
WE ARE CURRENTLY LOOKING FOR A NEW VENUE FOR SWINGIN THE CLUB TUESDAYS FOR OUR CLASSES & DANCE, & HOPE TO HAVE THE NEW LOCATION VERY SOON. SUGGESTIONS WELCOMED. PHIL & I WILL STILL BE AT THE HACIENDA TEACHING WITH OUR USUAL SCHEDULE EVERY THURSDAY & 1ST SATURDAYS. PHIL STILL HAS HIS USUAL TUESDAY CLASSES AT MEMORIES IN WHITTIER, & WILL BE UNAFFECTED BY THE CHANGES.
PLEASE CONTINUE TO SUPPORT US... WHAT CAN YOU DO TO HELP?
COME SUPPORT MY CLASSES AT MASONIC TEMPLE! PUT THE WORD OUT ABOUT US STILL BEING AT THE HACIENDA ON THURSDAYS & 1ST SATURDAYS. COME OUT & DANCE & SUPPORT THE BAR. BETTER YET, BUY A ROUND OF DRINKS FOR EVERYONE LOL! BRING YOUR FRIENDS BACK THAT LEFT. BRING NEW FRIENDS. SHARE OUR FACEBOOK POSTS. LIKE OUR FB POSTS. JOIN OUR FB INVITES. COMMENT ON FB POSTS. READ & RAVE ABOUT OUR NEWSLETTER. HELP KEEP OUR AMAZING DANCE FAMILY GROWING STRONG! ETC.
***********AND MOST IMPORTANT***********
DURING THIS DIFFICULT TRANSITION, PLEASE SEND ALL GIFTS (CASH, GIFT CARDS, CHECKS, & SO FORTH) TO OUR POBOX IN MANHATTAN BEACH. WE WILL GET A BIGGER BOX HAHA! NEEDED A MOMENT OF LEVITY!!!!!!
WE LOVE YOU! MINDIA & PHIL
*We are available for private dance lessons throughout the week; contact us about scheduling. *You can now use the same punch card for my classes, or Phil's classes. See below for details about punch cards.
*LANCASTER CLASSES W/ PHIL AT HIGH DESERT DANCE COMPANY CANCELLED WEDNESDAYS, MARCH 18TH & 25TH, 2015. (Jason Disbrow will be teaching Beginner/Intermediate WCS at 6 pm.)
*1st SATURDAY WORKSHOP & SWING DANCE at the HACIENDA HOTEL APRIL 4TH, 2015: We are having our usual 1st Saturday Workshop & Swing Dance Event at the Hacienda. (See link above for details.)
*THURSDAY DJ NIGHT at the HACIENDA March 19th, 2015: Upcoming DJ nights for us on Thursdays at the Hacienda for the Swing Dance after our usual classes. (See link above for details.)
Don't Miss Out!
Make sure you read the "CALL YOU OUT" section below every newsletter; you may be in there! Also check below in "TUNE-UP YOUR PLAYLIST" for songs picks!
We have two DVDs available, Beginner & Intermediate WCS. You can purchase them with a credit card in person (cash or check is fine also),or through our web store! More info about payment & options under Highlights.
We have punch cards available for purchase: ten classes for $100 w/ the eleventh class FREE! You can use the card for my classes or Phil's classes. Punch cards do not expire. We do take credit cards in person or through our web-store.
* We are available for PRIVATE LESSONS throughout the week; contact us to schedule. You get a $5 discount per DVD when you do a private!
*1st TIMERS FREE for my Beginner WCS class on Tuesdays at 7:30pm at the MASONIC TEMPLE IN EL SEGUNDO... bring your friends!
*Please check the "Highlights" section below for more info.
Call You Out!
Here is where we get to pick on our readers (instead of each other)!
I am calling out Carlus Reed, Demetre Souliotes, & Michael Kiehm! They told Phil they really liked his Superman socks, & encouraged more of that behavior. Maybe they were being sarcastic? Somebody help me out here. It's taken me almost four years to transform Phil's wardrobe into something classy & stylish. He has taken a big fall backwards. But some purple swirls might redeem him.
Tune-up Your Playlist
We want to share with you our favorite songs of the week!
"Thrift Shop" by Tyler Ward (WCS)
"Blue Moon" by Lighthouse Family (Nightclub 2-step)
"Queen" by Janelle Monae (WCS)
"Worth It" by Fifth Harmony (WCS)
Please let us know if you have songs to add, or other ideas for our Newsletter Re-birthing. And thank you Shavonne, for suggesting to add song choices.
Takin' Care of Business
* DANCE DVD'S!
Payment & Options: DVDs are $35 each. Credit card payments are available in person, (or cash or check in person is fine also), or through our web store. If order your DVDs through our website, you have the option to click the "pick up at class" option (to avoid shipping charges), or you can have them shipped.
* Please add our joint business e-mail to your contact/address book, to avoid Spam difficulties: info@PhilAndMindiaDance.com Please use this contact for any future communications.
* UPCOMING 1st SATURDAY WORKSHOP & SWING DANCE EVENTS at the Hacienda Hotel: April 4th, 2015. (Click link at the top for details.) (Must be at least 21 years old to attend any Hacienda workshops. classes, or dances.) SAVE THESE UPCOMING DATES: May 2nd, & June 6th, 2015. We are always your DJs, unless otherwise noted.
* UPCOMING 3rd SATURDAY, April 18th, 2015: GUEST INSTRUCTORS CHRISTIAN COUNTRY ROUND-UP DANCE: ALL ARE WELCOME! FREE FOR FIRST TIMERS! You can usually find us at the Clubhouse in Placentia (formerly the Atomic) on the 3rd Saturday of each month at the CCR Dance. We teach two Intermediate classes this month, TBA at 6:45 pm, & WEST COAST SWING at 7:25 pm (must know your basics). There is usually a theme & treats! (There are also Beginner classes.) Open Dancing is a mix of music. FIRST TIMERS FREE (except on a few special occasions). We are both available for private lessons there, but with limited space & time slots. Please schedule in advance.
Location: The Clubhouse 733 Dunn Way, Placentia, CA 92870.
COST: $20, or $15 for SoCal Christian Dance Club Members. Membership is only $20 for the entire year.
* All of our classes are drop-in (some do run in a series). No partner needed for any of our classes. No prior dance experience needed for Beginner classes. Two left feet are welcomed; we will introduce you to your right foot! (Phil wanted credit for that last comment.)
* Come out for classes & dancing on THURSDAYS at the HACIENDA! (For details click link at the top: Weekly Classes Hacienda.) I teach a FREE Beginner 1 West Coast Swing (Intro) class at 6:30 pm every Thursday.
* Once you have moved up from our Beginner level classes to Intermediate and then later Advanced, you are welcome to continue taking our Beginner classes for FREE! We want to encourage you to continue working on your basics; that is most important to develop a strong foundation. The best dancers usually are the ones who have worked on their basics for years. When you keep taking Beginner classes, you are also helping the new students to progress faster, since they get to rotate & dance with more experienced dancers.
* HACIENDA HOTEL SUPPORT NEEDED:
As you may have heard, new owners have taken over the hotel. It is crucial that we show them that the dancing brings in significant revenue. We need to do all that we can to keep this amazing venue for dancing alive! Please support the bar w/ a minimum purchase. If you order food from Sheila or the bartenders, the bill will go towards the bar tab for the night, which is helpful.
We hope that you have enjoyed this episode of "As the Dancer Turns..." I know that we have! Stay tuned for more entertaining issues.
Please explore our website for more info. We are also available for private dance lessons. Send us Facebook friend requests if you want to be informed/updated by our Newsfeed and Wall Posts. Pease forward this to friends to spread the word!
Hope to see you dancing soon,
Mindia... & Phil ;-)