Sunday March 8th, 2015
Hello to our Dance Family!
Welcome to Phil Adams & Mindia Robin's Newsletter: "As the Dancer Turns..."
Time to take another spin with this uplifting issue.
Soap Opera Snippets
A Day in the Life of...
ONE SILLY STORY... BEFORE WE GET DOWN TO BUSINESS!
We thought life was crazy lately... until we had a birthday dinner tonight for Phil's daughter Lauren (she is visiting from Texas). Phil's daughter-in-law Kristen & dear family friend Amber joined us; along with our four entertaining grandkids (ages four, three, two & one)! I think you get part of the picture already lol! On our way to the Huntington Beach Pier, we got a call from Lauren; the kids decided to go into the ocean for a swim unexpectedly. So our first detour was CVS to get them towels. We ended up at Johnny Rockets, & there were a lot of French fries & chocolate milks at one table! Phil did order a veggie burger to be a little healthier, but had to watch the others eat cheeseburgers, fries, & chicken strips (oops, Grandson Chayse corrected us; they were called "chicken tenders"). Phil did break down & get fries. I stole a handful. When we were leaving the restaurant, we realized that we were the only ones left. Was it something we said? Or did? Or were they jealous of all the fun & laughs we were having & left?
ANOTHER BIG UPDATE!
WE HAVE FOUND A TEMPORARY VENUE FOR MY WEEKLY TUESDAY CLASSES AT THE MASONIC TEMPLE IN EL SEGUNDO, STARTING THIS COMING TUESDAY, MARCH 10TH, 2015!!! THERE IS A BIG DANCE FLOOR, WITH LOTS OF EASY PARKING. There is a free lot right behind the building, & also street parking nearby. MY CLASS SCHEDULE IS THE SAME:
6:30 pm INTERMEDIATE WEST COAST SWING
7:30 pm BEGINNER WEST COAST SWING; FREE for 1st timers
No partner needed for classes. There is no dance after classes for now.
520 Main Street
El Segundo, CA90245
THERE IS NO BAR, SO IT IS NOT A 21 & OVER VENUE. SO PEOPLE AGES 17 TO 20 CAN COME, IF THEY WILL PARTICIPATE IN CLASS! YOU CAN BRING YOUR OWN WATER ALSO.
PLEASE COME SUPPORT THIS TUESDAY; THE COST IS MUCH MORE TO RENT THE SPACE, & WE WANT TO KEEP THE FUN CLASSES ROLLING RIGHT ALONG!
WE ARE CURRENTLY LOOKING FOR A NEW VENUE FOR SWINGIN THE CLUB TUESDAYS FOR OUR CLASSES & DANCE, & HOPE TO HAVE THE NEW LOCATION VERY SOON. PHIL & I WILL STILL BE AT THE HACIENDA TEACHING WITH OUR USUAL SCHEDULE EVERY THURSDAY & 1ST SATURDAYS.
PHIL STILL HAS HIS USUAL TUESDAY CLASSES AT MEMORIES IN WHITTIER, & WILL BE UNAFFECTED BY THE CHANGES.
PLEASE CONTINUE TO SUPPORT US... WHAT CAN YOU DO TO HELP?
COME SUPPORT MY CLASSES AT MASONIC TEMPLE! PUT THE WORD OUT ABOUT US STILL BEING AT THE HACIENDA ON THURSDAYS & 1ST SATURDAYS. COME OUT & DANCE & SUPPORT THE BAR. BETTER YET, BUY A ROUND OF DRINKS FOR EVERYONE LOL! BRING YOUR FRIENDS BACK THAT LEFT. BRING NEW FRIENDS. SHARE OUR FACEBOOK POSTS. LIKE OUR FB POSTS. JOIN OUR FB INVITES. COMMENT ON FB POSTS. READ & RAVE ABOUT OUR NEWSLETTER. HELP KEEP OUR AMAZING DANCE FAMILY GROWING STRONG! ETC.
***********AND MOST IMPORTANT***********
DURING THIS DIFFICULT TRANSITION, PLEASE SEND ALL GIFTS (CASH, GIFT CARDS, CHECKS, & SO FORTH) TO OUR POBOX IN MANHATTAN BEACH. WE WILL GET A BIGGER BOX HAHA!
NEEDED A MOMENT OF LEVITY!!!!!!
WE LOVE YOU! MINDIA & PHIL
Please also join us for a fun weekend at the HIGH DESERT DANCE CLASSIC in Lancaster March 13th through the 15th! We are teaching an INTERMEDIATE WORKSHOP FOR WEST COAST SWING "HITTING THE BREAKS" FOR MUSICALITY on Friday, MARCH 13TH at 4 pm. See Highlights below for details. And don't worry, I will check on the cord situation before we teach haha!
WE GAVE YOU SIX NEW SONG PICKS THIS TIME... CHECK THEM OUT BELOW!
*We are available for private dance lessons throughout the week; contact us about scheduling. *You can now use the same punch card for my classes, or Phil's classes. See below for details about punch cards.
*1st SATURDAY WORKSHOP & SWING DANCE at the HACIENDA HOTEL APRIL 4TH, 2015: We are having our usual 1st Saturday Workshop & Swing Dance Event at the Hacienda. (See link above for details.)
*THURSDAY DJ NIGHT at the HACIENDA March 19th, 2015: Upcoming DJ nights for us on Thursdays at the Hacienda for the Swing Dance after our usual classes. (See link above for details.)
Don't Miss Out!
Make sure you read the "CALL YOU OUT" section below every newsletter; you may be in there!
Also check below in "TUNE-UP YOUR PLAYLIST" for songs picks!
We have two DVDs available, Beginner & Intermediate WCS. You can purchase them with a credit card in person (cash or check is fine also), or through our web store! More info about payment & options under Highlights.
We have punch cards available for purchase: ten classes for $100 w/ the eleventh class FREE! You can use the card for my classes or Phil's classes. Punch cards do not expire. We do take credit cards in person or through our web-store.
* We are available for PRIVATE LESSONS throughout the week; contact us to schedule. You get a $5 discount per DVD when you do a private!
*1st TIMERS FREE for my Beginner WCS class on Tuesdays at 7:30 pm at the MASONIC TEMPLE IN EL SEGUNDO... bring your friends!
*Please check the "Highlights" section below for more info.
Call You Out!
Here is where we get to pick on our readers (instead of each other)!
YOU GUYS GET ANOTHER BREAK THIS WEEK!
Tune-up Your Playlist
We want to share with you our favorite songs of the week!
"Somebody" by Natalie La Rose (feat. Jeremih) (WCS)
"I Wish I Knew (How to be Free)" by Lighthouse Family (WCS)
"Rhymes" by Joe Bonamassa & Beth Hart (WCS)
"Ride Wit Me" by Nelly (feat. City Spud) (WCS)
"You & I Both" by Jason Mraz (WCS)
"Rumble & Sway" Jamie Commons (Country 2-Step)
Please let us know if you have songs to add, or other ideas for our Newsletter Re-birthing. And thank you Shavonne, for suggesting to add song choices.
Takin' Care of Business
* DANCE DVD'S!
Payment & Options: DVDs are $35 each. Credit card payments are available in person, (or cash or check in person is fine also), or through our web store. If order your DVDs through our website, you have the option to click the "pick up at class" option (to avoid shipping charges), or you can have them shipped.
* Please add our joint business e-mail to your contact/address book, to avoid Spam difficulties: info@PhilAndMindiaDance.com Please use this contact for any future communications.
* UPCOMING 1st SATURDAY WORKSHOP & SWING DANCE EVENTS at the Hacienda Hotel: April 4th, 2015. (Click link at the top for details.) (Must be at least 21 years old to attend any Hacienda workshops. classes, or dances.) SAVE THESE UPCOMING DATES: May 2nd, & June 6th, 2015. We are always your DJs, unless otherwise noted.
* UPCOMING 3rd SATURDAY, April 18th, 2015: GUEST INSTRUCTORS CHRISTIAN COUNTRY ROUND-UP DANCE: ALL ARE WELCOME! FREE FOR FIRST TIMERS! You can usually find us at the Clubhouse in Placentia (formerly the Atomic) on the 3rd Saturday of each month at the CCR Dance. We teach two Intermediate classes this month, TBA at 6:45 pm, & WEST COAST SWING at 7:25 pm (must know your basics). There is usually a theme & treats! (There are also Beginner classes.) Open Dancing is a mix of music. FIRST TIMERS FREE (except on a few special occasions). We are both available for private lessons there, but with limited space & time slots. Please schedule in advance. Location: The Clubhouse 733 Dunn Way, Placentia, CA 92870. COST: $20, or $15 for SoCal Christian Dance Club Members. Membership is only $20 for the entire year.
*UPCOMING "HITTING THE BREAKS" WORKSHOP FRIDAY, MARCH 13th, 2015 at HIGH DESERT DANCE CLASSIC in LANCASTER! Join the community for a fun weekend Friday, March 13th through Sunday, March 15th, 2015. Our "HITTING THE BREAKS" Workshop is Friday at 4 pm. It's Intermediate level for West Coast Swing musicality. No partner needed. The event is a weekend full of workshops, competitions, social dancing, & performances. Many styles of dance will be represented. Event Director is the lovely Lisa Sandoval. For more info, go to www.HighDesertDanceClassic.com.
* All of our classes are drop-in (some do run in a series). No partner needed for any of our classes. No prior dance experience needed for Beginner classes. Two left feet are welcomed; we will introduce you to your right foot! (Phil wanted credit for that last comment.)
* Come out for classes & dancing on THURSDAYS at the HACIENDA! (For details click link at the top: Weekly Classes Hacienda.) I teach a FREE Beginner 1 West Coast Swing (Intro) class at 6:30 pm every Thursday.
* Once you have moved up from our Beginner level classes to Intermediate and then later Advanced, you are welcome to continue taking our Beginner classes for FREE! We want to encourage you to continue working on your basics; that is most important to develop a strong foundation. The best dancers usually are the ones who have worked on their basics for years. When you keep taking Beginner classes, you are also helping the new students to progress faster, since they get to rotate & dance with more experienced dancers.
* HACIENDA HOTEL SUPPORT NEEDED: As you may have heard, new owners have taken over the hotel. It is crucial that we show them that the dancing brings in significant revenue. We need to do all that we can to keep this amazing venue for dancing alive! Please support the bar w/ a minimum purchase. If you order food from Sheila or the bartenders, the bill will go towards the bar tab for the night, which is helpful.
We hope that you have enjoyed this episode of "As the Dancer Turns..." I know that we have! Stay tuned for more entertaining issues.
Please explore our website for more info. We are also available for private dance lessons. Send us Facebook friend requests if you want to be informed/updated by our Newsfeed and Wall Posts. Pease forward this to friends to spread the word!
Hope to see you dancing soon,
Mindia... & Phil ;-)