Thursday July 24th, 2014
Hello to our Dance Family!
Welcome to Phil Adams & Mindia Robin's Newsletter: "As the Dancer Turns..."
Time to take another spin with this uplifting issue.
Soap Opera Snippets
A Day in the Life of...
DJ Night Tonight!
Join us tonight at the Hacienda for our usual classes & dancing; we are your DJs for the evening!
1st Saturday Hacienda Events: August 2nd, September 13th, & Our Dance Team Performs on October 4th!
Our next 1st Saturday Workshop & Swing Dance at the Hacienda is August 2nd, & mark your calendars for October 4th! Our Hacienda Dance Team will be performing at our 1st Saturday Event! Now that we have increased their practice time, the pressure is really on.
Word Choice & Clear Voice
Some of our best stories come from our private lessons (see "Call You Out" section below). Last weekend, Phil & I were doing a lesson with Nikhil. I was giving Phil a hard time because he kept telling Nikhil to "throw me out;" he was referring to a pattern called a "throw-out." There is a very big difference. A better option would have been to say, "Gently send the Princess along her way." (Phil actually just came up with that.) So later in the lesson, while working on a more difficult pattern, Nikhil asked how his partner will specifically feel that particular lead. I smiled & said, "Oh, I can feel your body moving. That's all the lead I need!" Nikhil looked happy that I said that; Phil looked a different way. I told Phil that it was his karma for telling Nikhil to throw me out. Towards the end of the lesson, Phil was demonstrating a body movement in the mirror. He told Nikhil to come stand in front of him to practice. I got in front of Nikhil to also give a visual aid. I looked in the mirror at the three of us, & I heard myself saying, "A Nikhil sandwich!" Guess Phil's not the only one who needs to censor his descriptions of things.
Don't Miss Out!
Make sure you read the "Call You Out" section below every newsletter; you may be in there! Also check below in "Tune-up Your Playlist" for two new songs!
LANCASTER DANCE CLASSES CANCELLED
Wednesday, August 6th & August 27th.
SUNDAY, AUGUST 24th: GUEST INSTRUCTORS & TEAM PERFORMANCE AT PASADENA BALLROOM DANCE ASSOCIATION!
We will be teaching Intermediate West Coast Swing at the PBDA at 7:30 pm. Our Hacienda Dance Team will perform after class. There is social dancing after class until around 9 pm. PBDA co-owners are Tami & Erin Stevens. (Location: 73 North Hill Ave., Pasadena, CA 91106).
We have two new DVDs available, Beginner & Intermediate WCS. Great news! You can now purchase them with a credit card, in person or through our web store! You can come to the Hacienda Hotel tonight to get them! More info about payment & options under Highlights.
We both have punch cards available for purchase: ten classes for $100 w/ the eleventh class free. (Separate punch cards for Phil & I.) Our punch cards will expire six months from the purchase date. We do take credit cards.
We are adding a new section on our website with special offers! So be sure to visit regularly for deals & discounts. The first offer is on there now!
A Few Shameless Plugs
*UPCOMING DJ NIGHTS on THURSDAYS AT THE HACIENDA: August 7th & 21st! We will DJ all night (after our usual classes).
*NEXT 1st SATURDAY WORKSHOP & SWING DANCE EVENT AT THE HACIENDA is August 2nd, 2014. We are your DJs for the night! (Click on 1st Saturday link above for details.)
*1st TIMERS FREE for my Beginner WCS class on Tuesdays at 7:30pm at the Hacienda Hotel... bring your friends!
*Please check the "Highlights" section below for more info.
Call You Out!
Here is where we get to pick on our readers (instead of each other)!
Recently Phil & I were teaching private lessons. My student took a quick break & walked over to the bar. Then I heard Phil's student Dianna exclaim that I was driving my students to drink! Phil says that he wonders why people think he is the tough one. So Dianna is getting wriiten up haha!
Tune-up Your Playlist
We want to share with you our favorite songs of the week!
Mindia's Pick: "Make the World Go Round" DJ Cassidy feat. R. Kelly (WCS)
Phil's Pick: "Mud House" Bob Schneider (WCS)
Please let us know if you have songs to add, or other ideas for our Newsletter Re-birthing. And thank you Shavonne, for suggesting to add song choices.
Takin' Care of Business
* NEW DANCE DVD'S!
Payment & Options: DVDs are $35 each. Bring your cash or checkbooks to upcoming classes, dances & events; if you buy DVDs in person with cash or check, we will treat for the tax! Credit card payments are now available in person, or through our web store. (In person there is a $30 minimum charge.) You can also order your DVDs through our website, & click the "pick up at class" shipping option (to avoid shipping charges).
* Please add our new joint business e-mail to your contact/address book, to avoid Spam difficulties: info@PhilAndMindiaDance.com Please use this contact for any future communications.
* 1st SATURDAY WORKSHOP & SWING DANCE EVENTS at the Hacienda Hotel:(Click link at the top for details.) (Must be at least 21 years old to attend any Hacienda workshops. classes, or dances.) SAVE THESE UPCOMING DATES: August 2nd, September 13th (Mindia's Bday Party), October 4th, November 1st, & December 6th, 2014! *NOTE* The event is on the 2nd Saturday just for the month of September. We are your DJs, unless otherwise noted.
* AUGUST 16th: GUEST INSTRUCTORS CHRISTIAN COUNTRY ROUND-UP DANCE: You can usually find us at the Clubhouse in Placentia (formerly the Atomic) on the 3rd Saturday of each month at the CCR Dance. This Dance is open for anybody to come. There is always a theme & treats! (There are also Beginner classes.) Open Dancing is a mix of music. FIRST TIMERS FREE (except on a few special occasions). We are both available for private lessons there, but with limited space & time slots. Please schedule in advance. (Location: The Clubhouse 733 Dunn Way, Placentia, CA 92870). Details coming...
* All of our classes are drop-in (some do run in a series). No partner needed for any of our classes. No prior dance experience needed for Beginner classes. Two left feet are welcomed; we will introduce you to your right foot! (Phil wanted credit for that last comment.)
* Come out for classes & dancing on THURSDAYS at the HACIENDA! (For details click link at the top: Weekly Classes Hacienda.) I teach a FREE Beginner 1 West Coast Swing (Intro) class at 6:30 pm every Thursday.
* Once you have moved up from our Beginner level classes to Intermediate and then later Advanced, you are welcome to continue taking our Beginner classes for FREE! We want to encourage you to continue working on your basics; that is most important to develop a strong foundation. The best dancers usually are the ones who have worked on their basics for years. When you keep taking Beginner classes, you are also helping the new students to progress faster, since they get to rotate & dance with more experienced dancers.
* HACIENDA HOTEL SUPPORT NEEDED: As you may have heard, new owners have taken over the hotel. It is crucial that we show them that the dancing brings in significant revenue. We need to do all that we can to keep this amazing venue for dancing alive! Please support the bar w/ a minimum purchase. If you order food from Sheila or the bartenders, the bill will go towards the bar tab for the night, which is helpful. Ordering food from the restaurant does not count towards the evening's bar tab. There are now four dance floors, so spread the word & bring your friends. PARKING: There is a Hacienda parking lot across the street (entrance on Mariposa St.). One and a half hours free with validation at the bar (just buy a drink or food).
We hope that you have enjoyed this episode of "As the Dancer Turns..." I know that we have! Stay tuned for more entertaining issues.
Please explore our website for more info. We are also available for private dance lessons. Send us Facebook friend requests if you want to be informed/updated by our Newsfeed and Wall Posts. Pease forward this to friends to spread the word!
Hope to see you dancing soon,
Mindia... & Phil ;-)