Thursday July 10th, 2014
Hello to our Dance Family!
Welcome to Phil Adams & Mindia Robin's Newsletter: "As the Dancer Turns..."
Time to take another spin with this uplifting issue.
Soap Opera Snippets
A Day in the Life of...
PHIL'S REAL BIRTHDAY & DJ NIGHT TONIGHT!
The day is just getting started, & Phil has already had a few more signs of aging! Before leaving the house, he went to take the trash out. He had trash in one hand, & keys in the other. Bet you can guess what happened next. He didn't notice until he went to open his car trunk, & he had no keys. Then I gave him a Birthday card, which he misread. He thought I wrote, "Let's stay together forever." What I wrote was, "Let's stay Forever 21 together!" And now we are writing the Newsletter in the car. Phil is having trouble hearing me. Hmmm... maybe he just wants me to stay close, & keep an eye on him. Join us tonight at the Hacienda for our usual classes & dancing; we are your DJs for the evening!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY PHIL!!! I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!! YOU ARE A GIFT TO ME, TO YOUR FAMILY, & TO OUR ENTIRE DANCE COMMUNITY. PLEASE CELEBRATE YOURSELF... FOR BEING PERFECTLY YOU. (YES, I SAID "PERFECTLY!") AND STOP LOOKING AT YOURSELF IN THE REAR-VIEW MIRROR WHILE DRIVING, SO YOU DON'T FIND ANY MORE SURPRISES. (FOR ANYBODY THAT DIDN'T GET THAT JOKE, READ OUR LAST NEWSLETTER.)
GUEST INSTRUCTORS AT 3RD SATURDAY CCR DANCE IN PLACENTIA!
On Saturday, July 19th, we will be teaching three classes for West Coast Swing!
6:15 pm Turns, Spins & Hip Movement
6:45 pm Building Better Basics WCS
7:30 pm Intermediate WCS
8:15 pm Open Dancing
The theme is Red, White & Blue. There will be food treats! See more details below under "Highlights."
AND THE WINNER IS...
We went to Chili's for dinner on July 4th. We had chips & salsa treats & table-side guacamole. Phil insisted on getting a re-fill of chips & salsa. (He said that he didn't want to waste the remaining guacamole.) I tried to stop him, but that didn't help. The waiter did bring the chips, but never brought the salsa. That was a sign that we were flagged on too many chips. Then Phil wanted dessert; I declined. He ordered the big chocolate chip cookie with two scoops of vanilla ice cream (he wanted to entice me into sharing it with him.) I told him I would have one bite. (I said that before I knew that our waiter was adding caramel.) Phil said that he could get dessert because of the holiday, & his birthday was the following week. (FYI, he did have dessert three nights in a row the holiday weekend.) So after we finished dessert, Phil announced to our waiter that I had fifteen bites. Well, my bites were very, very tiny. And there is a good chance that Phi miscounted; refer back to the first paragraph above haha!)
GUEST INSTRUCTORS & TEAM PERFORMANCE AT PASADENA BALLROOM DANCE ASSOCIATION!
On Sunday, August 24th we will be teaching Intermediate West Coast Swing at the PBDA at 7:30 pm. Our Hacienda Dance Team will perform after class. There is social dancing after class until around 9 pm. PBDA co-owners are Tami & Erin Stevens. (Location: 73 North Hill Ave., Pasadena, CA 91106).
NOTE: LANCASTER DANCE CLASSES CANCELLED ON WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 27TH. (I am taking Phil to the Ed Sheeran concert for his Birthday :-)
Make sure you read the "Call You Out" section below every newsletter; you may be in there! Also check below in "Tune-up Your Playlist" for two new songs!
We have two new DVDs available, Beginner & Intermediate WCS. Great news! You can now purchase them with a credit card, in person or through our web store! You can come to the Hacienda Hotel tonight to get them! More info about payment & options under Highlights.
*My Tuesday classes are now $10 each (other than 1st timers free for Beginner class). I have punch cards available for purchase (like Phil's); ten classes for $100 w/ the eleventh class free. (Separate punch cards for both our different classes.) Our punch cards will expire six months from the purchase date. We do take credit cards.
*Exciting News... We are adding a new section on our website with special offers! So be sure to visit regularly for deals & discounts. The first offer is on there now!
A Few Shameless Plugs
*UPCOMING DJ NIGHTS on THURSDAYS AT THE HACIENDA: July 10th & July 24th. We will DJ all night (after our usual classes).
*NEXT 1st SATURDAY WORKSHOP & SWING DANCE EVENT AT THE HACIENDA: August 2nd, 2014. We are your DJs for the night! (Click on 1st Saturday link above for details.)
*1st TIMERS FREE for my Beginner WCS class on Tuesdays at 7:30 pm at the Hacienda Hotel... bring your friends!
*Please check the "Highlights" section below for more info.
Call You Out!
Here is where we get to pick on our readers (instead of each other)!
The Wednesday night Lancaster class students are calling out Angie for being away for a month. Because Phil didn't have her to pick on, he gave everybody else a hard time!
Tune-up Your Playlist
We want to share with you our favorite songs of the week!
Mindia's Pick: "Eyes of a Child" by Aloe Blacc (WCS)
Phil's Pick: "Boogie Tonight" by Tweet (WCS)
Please let us know if you have songs to add, or other ideas for our Newsletter Re-birthing. And thank you Shavonne, for suggesting to add song choices.
Takin' Care of Business
* NEW DANCE DVD'S!
Payment & Options: DVDs are $35 each. Bring your cash or checkbooks to upcoming classes, dances & events; if you buy DVDs in person with cash or check, we will treat for the tax! Credit card payments are now available in person, or through our web store. (In person there is a $30 minimum charge.) You can also order your DVDs through our website, & click the "pick up at class" shipping option (to avoid shipping charges).
* Please add our new joint business e-mail to your contact/address book, to avoid Spam difficulties: info@PhilAndMindiaDance.com Please use this contact for any future communications.
* 1st SATURDAY WORKSHOP & SWING DANCE EVENTS at the Hacienda Hotel:(Click link at the top for details.) (Must be at least 21 years old to attend any Hacienda workshops. classes, or dances.) SAVE THESE UPCOMING DATES: August 2nd, September 13th (Mindia's Bday Party), October 4th, November 1st, & December 6th, 2014! *NOTE* The event is on the 2nd Saturday just for the month of September. We are your DJs, unless otherwise noted.
* We will teach at the Christian Country Round-up (CCR) Dance the 3rd Saturday of each month at the Clubhouse in Placentia (formerly the Atomic). This Dance is open for anybody to come. There is always a theme & treats! (There are also Beginner classes.) Open Dancing is a mix of music. FIRST TIMERS FREE (except on a few special occasions). We are both available for private lessons there, but with limited space & time slots. Please schedule in advance. (Location: The Clubhouse 733 Dunn Way, Placentia, CA 92870.)
* All of our classes are drop-in (some do run in a series). No partner needed for any of our classes. No prior dance experience needed for Beginner classes. Two left feet are welcomed; we will introduce you to your right foot! (Phil wanted credit for that last comment.)
* Come out for classes & dancing on THURSDAYS at the HACIENDA! (For details click link at the top: Weekly Classes Hacienda.) I teach a FREE Beginner 1 West Coast Swing (Intro) class at 6:30 pm every Thursday.
* Once you have moved up from our Beginner level classes to Intermediate and then later Advanced, you are welcome to continue taking our Beginner classes for FREE! We want to encourage you to continue working on your basics; that is most important to develop a strong foundation. The best dancers usually are the ones who have worked on their basics for years. When you keep taking Beginner classes, you are also helping the new students to progress faster, since they get to rotate & dance with more experienced dancers.
* HACIENDA HOTEL SUPPORT NEEDED: As you may have heard, new owners have taken over the hotel. It is crucial that we show them that the dancing brings in significant revenue. We need to do all that we can to keep this amazing venue for dancing alive! Please support the bar w/ a minimum purchase. If you order food from Sheila or the bartenders, the bill will go towards the bar tab for the night, which is helpful. Ordering food from the restaurant does not count towards the evening's bar tab. There are now four dance floors, so spread the word & bring your friends. PARKING: There is a Hacienda parking lot across the street (entrance on Mariposa St.). One and a half hours free with validation at the bar (just buy a drink or food).
We hope that you have enjoyed this episode of "As the Dancer Turns..." I know that we have! Stay tuned for more entertaining issues.
Please explore our website for more info. We are also available for private dance lessons. Send us Facebook friend requests if you want to be informed/updated by our Newsfeed and Wall Posts. Pease forward this to friends to spread the word!
Hope to see you dancing soon,
Mindia... & Phil ;-)