Thursday June 26th, 2014
Hello to our Dance Family!
Welcome to Phil Adams & Mindia Robin's Newsletter: "As the Dancer Turns..."
Time to take another spin with this uplifting issue.
Soap Opera Snippets
A Day in the Life of...
In case you have been wondering about our dance backgrounds, Phil & I will give you a glimpse of how our careers started.
I was already performing in recitals by the age of three; for my initial debut, I was cast as a Mexican Jumping Bean! (Phil thinks there is some sort of resemblance to my current dance style. Not sure I get his joke, but it must be related to what he is attracted too!)
Phil began in fourth grade (what age is that?), in a square dancing class, in preparation for the May Day Dance (what century was that?). His natural talent was obvious, & he was picked to be a demonstator for the other classes learning. And here we are today! (Maybe more to come on our history...)
DJ NIGHT TONIGHT!
Now that we hopefully got your attention, don't forget to come join us tonight for our usual classes & dancing at the Hacienda; we are your DJs for the evening!
UPDATES & CHANGES
Starting July 1st, my Tuesday classes will be $10 each (other than 1st timers free for Beginner class). I will be offering a punch card (like Phil's); ten classes for $100 w/ the eleventh class free. (Separate punch cards for both our different classes.) Also starting in July, our punch cards will expire six months from the purchase date. We do take credit cards.
Time for another "In the Moment" interruption story. As most of you know, we often write this newsletter on our long commute to work (I type & he drives). I noticed that Phil was just looking in the rear-view mirror for more than a glance. Then he said, "Crap! I have a hair growing out of my ear!" And then he quickly realized that the bad news got worse; it was a gray hair! He pulled over to park & jumped out of the car. Why? He went to get his scissors. Hard for me to stop laughing right now, but Phil did give consent for telling you about this. People who recently signed up for our newsletter may be wondering what does this have to do with dancing? Welcome to the family! Probably not what you were expecting. (Btw, this paragraph did warrant a check-in with our censor advisor Alan. Guess it passed his standards, which is a conversation for another time.)
JULY 4th WEEKEND
That last story reminds me... somebody is having a Birthday soon! We will celebrate Phil at our next 1st Saturday Workshop & Swing Dance Event on July 5th at the Hacienda! We just added Guest DJ Forrest Hanson (from Northern CA) to our schedule!
Phil's actual Birthday is Thursday, July 10th. He decided to work because he loves you all so much! That night, we have our usual classes & dancing at the Hacienda, & we get to DJ that night as well! (I am taking Phil to the Ed Sheeran concert at the end of August; so does that mean we have to celebrate his birthday until then?)
Make sure you read the "Call You Out" section below every newsletter; you may be in there! Also check below in "Tune-up Your Playlist" for two new songs!
We have two new DVDs available, Beginner & Intermediate WCS. Great news! You can now purchase them with a credit card, in person or through our web store! You can come to the Hacienda Hotel tonight to get them! More info about payment & options under Highlights.
*Exciting News... We are adding a new section on our website with special offers! So be sure to visit regularly for deals & discounts. The first offer is on there now!
A Few Shameless Plugs
*UPCOMING DJ NIGHTS on THURSDAYS AT THE HACIENDA: July 10th & July 24th. We will DJ all night (after our usual classes).
*1st TIMERS FREE for my Beginner WCS class on Tuesdays at 7:30pm at the Hacienda Hotel... bring your friends!
*Please check the "Highlights" section below for more info.
Call You Out!
Here is where we get to pick on our readers (instead of each other)!
Phil is calling out Marlynn for always telling me that he is causing trouble. Phil says that Marlynn is always the instigator. Phil claims that he is so nice & sweet to her. OK, time-out. I can't write lies, sorry Honey! But I did see Marlynn try & get Phil to do his "Boogie Down Dance" so that Gregory could catch it on video & put it on Facebook. Although I did have the same motivation, as did Anne! It was four against one, & we still didn't get the video. All of a sudden somebody turned shy. Well we haven't given up; there's still hope. Phil just remarked that he can't believe I sided with Marlynn. Where's Martin for back-up?
Tune-up Your Playlist
We want to share with you our favorite songs of the week!
Mindia's Pick: "Say That" Leela James & Anthony Hamilton (WCS)
Phil's Pick: "Problem" Iggy (WCS)
lease let us know if you have songs to add, or other ideas for our Newsletter Re-birthing. And thank you Shavonne, for suggesting to add song choices.
Takin' Care of Business
* NEW DANCE DVD'S!
Payment & Options: DVDs are $35 each. Bring your cash or checkbooks to upcoming classes, dances, & events; if you buy DVDs in person with cash or check, we will treat for the tax! Credit card payments are now available in person, or through our web store. (In person there is a $30 minimum charge.) You can also order your DVDs through our website, & click the "pick up at class" shipping option (to avoid shipping charges).
* Please add our new joint business e-mail to your contact/address book, to avoid Spam difficulties: info@PhilAndMindiaDance.com Please use this contact for any future communications.
* 1st SATURDAY WORKSHOP & SWING DANCE EVENTS at the Hacienda Hotel: (Click link at the top for details.) (Must be at least 21 years old to attend any Hacienda workshops, classes, or dances.) SAVE THESE UPCOMING DATES: August 2nd, September 13th (Mindia's Bday Party), & October 4th, 2014! *NOTE* The event is on the 2nd Saturday just for the month of September.
* We will teach at the Christian Country Round-up Dance the 3rd Saturday of next month, July 19th, at the Clubhouse in Placentia (formerly the Atomic). This Dance is open for anybody to come. We will teach two Intermediate classes: 6:45 pm & 7:25 pm (details coming). There is always a theme & treats! (There are also Beginner classes.) Open Dancing is around 8:05 pm (a mix of music). FIRST TIMERS FREE (except on a few special occasions). We are both available for private lessons there, but with limited space & time slots. Please schedule in advance.
* All of our classes are drop-in (some do run in a series). No partner needed for any of our classes. No prior dance experience needed for Beginner classes. Two left feet are welcomed; we will introduce you to your right foot! (Phil wanted credit for that last comment.)
* Come out for classes & dancing on THURSDAYS at the HACIENDA! (For details click link at the top: Weekly Classes Hacienda.) I teach a FREE Beginner 1 West Coast Swing (Intro) class at 6:30 pm every Thursday.
* Once you have moved up from our Beginner level classes to Intermediate and then later Advanced, you are welcome to continue taking our Beginner classes for FREE! We want to encourage you to continue working on your basics; that is most important to develop a strong foundation. The best dancers usually are the ones who have worked on their basics for years. When you keep taking Beginner classes, you are also helping the new students to progress faster, since they get to rotate & dance with more experienced dancers.
* HACIENDA HOTEL SUPPORT NEEDED: As you may have heard, new owners have taken over the hotel. It is crucial that we show them that the dancing brings in significant revenue. We need to do all that we can to keep this amazing venue for dancing alive! Please support the bar w/ a minimum purchase. If you order food from Sheila or the bartenders, the bill will go towards the bar tab for the night, which is helpful. Ordering food from the restaurant does not count towards the evening's bar tab. There are now four dance floors, so spread the word & bring your friends. PARKING: There is a Hacienda parking lot across the street (entrance on Mariposa St.). One and a half hours free with validation at the bar (just buy a drink or food).
We hope that you have enjoyed this episode of "As the Dancer Turns..." I know that we have! Stay tuned for more entertaining issues.
Please explore our website for more info. We are also available for private dance lessons. Send us Facebook friend requests if you want to be informed/updated by our Newsfeed and Wall Posts. Pease forward this to friends to spread the word!
Hope to see you dancing soon,
Mindia... & Phil ;-)