Thursday April 24th, 2014
Hello to our Dance Family!
Welcome to Phil Adams & Mindia Robin's Newsletter: "As the Dancer Turns..."
Time to take another spin with this uplifting issue.
Soap Opera Snippets
A Day in the Life of...
Hey Everybody! Great news to share...
(No Joe, it's not time for wedding bells haha!)
It's official! We have ordered our DVDs! We plan to have them available for purchase within a week. Bring your cash or checkbooks to upcoming classes & dances; we will also have credit card payment options soon. You can also contact us to order DVDs, & soon you will be able to get them through the website.
One of the funny things that often happens to us is that people assume that we are married. I am frequently referred to as Mrs. Adams, when checking in at hotels, eating in restaurants, or even at our dentist office. Phil's doctor once asked if he wanted his wife to come in with him for his appointment. So when we recently ordered our DVDs, I was filling out the account info. Phil stopped me & said, "Really, Mindia Adams?" I hadn't realized that I actually had typed that in. In my defense, you need to understand that we kept switching screens & changing names, since we were figuring out the ordering situation for the first time with this company. Phil says, "Sure, excuses excuses. You are always telling me that your sub-conscious is often making decisions for you. What are you trying to tell me, Honey?" You probably give big tips to all of these people, so that I will be influenced into this kind of thinking.
FYI: Make sure to read the "Call You Out" section below, every Newsletter. You might be in there...
A Few Shameless Plugs
*Join us this weekend on April 26th for Rhonda Diamond's 4th Saturday Dance in San Pedro! We will teach an Intermediate West Coast Swing class at 7:30 pm. Then we will DJ at 8:30 pm for the night. Our Hacienda Dance Team will also debut a new routine! For details, go to www.DiamondSwing.com.
*Mark your calendars for three nights in the month of May that we are DJing! May 3rd (Our 1st Saturday Event), Thursday, May 15th, & Thursday, May 29th. All happening at the Hacienda Hotel.
*1st TIMERS FREE for my Beginner WCS class on Tuesdays at 7:30pm at the Hacienda Hotel... bring your friends!
*The FREZNO DANCE CLASSIC EVENT is coming Memorial Day Weekend in May! We are very excited for this fun event. We will be teaching a workshop, & our Hacienda Dance Team will also be performing two routines! Let's celebrate with Steve Zener, the fabulous Event Director, because this will be the Thirtieth Anniversary. This year's theme is Back to 'Z' Future! In addition to the usual competitions & social dancing, this unique event also has ice cream socials, pizza parties, a Gong Show, a Karaoke Party, entertaining skits, & surprising costumes (wondering what Steve will be this time)! See website for more info: www.FreznoDance.com
*Please check out the "New Highlights" section below for more updates.
Call You Out!
Here is where we get to pick on our readers (instead of each other)!
My turn to call out a whole bunch of people: Sheila, Rita, Barry, Vic, Alan, Frank, & a number of others who I can't recall (lucky for them). So last Tuesday night, I had finished teaching my usual classes at the Hacienda, & was chatting with Alan. All of a sudden I felt the presence of somebody invading my space. Somebody had snuck up on me from behind. Yep, you know who! Phil is never at the Hacienda on Tuesdays; he teaches in Whittier, which is 25 miles away. It's the only day that we don't teach at the same venue. He found a way to surprise me, & not one of the witnesses who saw him coming, warned me! They just watched & laughed. I guess Phil just missed me too much on Tuesdays. Our waitress Sheila said that I had the cutest look on my face when I turned around & saw that it was Phil. She said that we both looked like we hadn't seen each other in six months! (It was more like six hours.) Sheila was happy that romance was still alive!
Tune-up Your Playlist
We want to share with you our favorite songs of the week!
Mindia's Pick: "Can't Rely On You" by Paloma Faith (WCS)
Phil's Pick: "I See Fire" by Ed Sheeran (WCS)
Please let us know if you have songs to add, or other ideas for our Newsletter Re-birthing. And thank you Shavonne, for suggesting to add song choices.
Takin' Care of Business
* DANCE DVD'S!
We have two new DVD's which will be available next week... Beginner West Coast Swing & Intermediate West Coast Swing! Stay tuned for more details.
* Please add our new joint business e-mail to your contact/address book, to avoid Spam difficulties: info@PhilAndMindiaDance.com. Please use this contact for any future communications.
* Our next 1st SATURDAY WORKSHOP & SWING DANCE EVENT at the Hacienda Hotel is May 3rd, 2014! (Click here for details.) WE ARE YOUR DJs FOR THE NIGHT! (Must be at least 21 years old to attend any Hacienda workshops. classes, or dances.) SAVE THESE UPCOMING DATES for the next few 1st Saturday Events: June 7th, & July 5th (Phil's Bday Party), August 2nd, & September 13th (Mindia's Bday Party), 2014! *NOTE* The event is on the 2nd Saturday just fort the month of September.
* We will teach at the Christian Country Round-up Dance the 3rd Saturday of next month, May 17th, at the Clubhouse in Placentia (formerly the Atomic). This Dance is open for anybody to come. We will teach two Intermediate classes at 6:45 pm & 7:30 pm; stay tuned for details. (There are also Beginner classes.) Open Dancing is at 8:15 pm (a mix of music). FISRT TIMERS FREE (except on a few special occasions). We are both available for private lessons there, but with limited space & time slots. Please schedule in advance.
* All of our classes are drop-in (some do run in a series). No partner needed for any of our classes. No prior dance experience needed for Beginner classes. Two left feet are welcomed; we will introduce you to your right foot! (Phil wanted credit for that last comment.)
* Come out for classes & dancing on THURSDAYS at the HACIENDA! (For details click link at the top: Weekly Classes Hacienda.) I teach a FREE Beginner 1 West Coast Swing (Intro) class at 6:30 pm every Thursday.
* Once you have moved up from our Beginner level classes to Intermediate and then later Advanced, you are welcome to continue taking our Beginner classes for FREE! We want to encourage you to continue working on your basics; that is most important to develop a strong foundation. The best dancers usually are the ones who have worked on their basics for years. When you keep taking Beginner classes, you are also helping the new students to progress faster, since they get to rotate & dance with more experienced dancers.
* HACIENDA HOTEL SUPPORT NEEDED: As you may have heard, new owners have taken over the hotel. It is crucial that we show them that the dancing brings in significant revenue. We need to do all that we can to keep this amazing venue for dancing alive! Please support the bar w/ a minimum purchase. If you order food from Sheila or the bartenders, the bill will go towards the bar tab for the night, which is helpful. Ordering food from the restaurant does not count towards the evening's bar tab. There are now four dance floors, so spread the word & bring your friends. PARKING: There is a Hacienda parking lot across the street (entrance on Mariposa St.). Three hours free with validation at the bar (just buy a drink or food).
We hope that you have enjoyed this episode of "As the Dancer Turns..." I know that we have! Stay tuned for more entertaining issues.
Please explore our website for more info. We are also available for private dance lessons. Send us Facebook friend requests if you want to be informed/updated by our Newsfeed and Wall Posts. Pease forward this to friends to spread the word!
Hope to see you dancing soon,
Mindia... & Phil ;-)