Thursday April 17th, 2014
Hello to our Dance Family!
Welcome to Phil Adams & Mindia Robin's Newsletter: "As the Dancer Turns..."
Time to take another spin with this uplifting issue.
Soap Opera Snippets
A Day in the Life of...
Here is just a short update for you.
Thanks for making our 2nd Saturday event such a great turn-out! We had so much fun, & especially enjoyed having Steve Zener & Heather Rappaport with us for the entire dance!
Don't forget that tonight, Thursday, April 17th, we are DJing for the evening after our usual classes at the Hacienda Hotel!
We are teaching this Saturday, April 19th, at the CCR Dance in Placentia! 6:45pm Intermediate Country 2-step &7:30pm Intermediate West Coast Swing. (More info below.)
Mark your calendars for three nights in the month of May that weare DJing! May 3rd (Our 1st Saturday Event), Thursday, May 15th, & Thursday, May 29th. All at the Hacienda Hotel.
We have to give you at least one fun story. One of our students lost his wallet recently. A few days later, he got a call from somebody who found his wallet in the street. When he got the wallet back, he discovered that only one thing was missing. No, not a credit card. No, not a license. It was a punch card for Phil's dance classes! Certainly the greatest value of anything that could possibly be in a wallet! (Phil just commented, "Hey Honey, can we use this story in the testimonial section of our website?")
FYI: Make sure to read the "Call You Out" section below, every Newsletter. You might be in there...
A Few Shameless Plugs
*1st TIMERS FREE for my Beginner WCS class on Tuesdays at 7:30 pm at the Hacienda Hotel... bring your friends!
*DJ NIGHT HACIENDA: Join us for classes & dancing on Thursday, April 17th. We are your DJs for the night after our usual classes!
*Join us on April 26th for Rhonda Diamond's 4th Saturday Dance in San Pedro! We will teach an Intermediate West Coast Swing class at 7:30 pm. Then we will DJ at 8:30 pm for the night. Our Hacienda Dance Team will also debut a new routine! For details, go to www.DiamondSwing.com.
*The FREZNO DANCE CLASSIC EVENT is coming Memorial Day Weekend in May! We are very excited for this fun event. We will be teaching a workshop, & our Hacienda Dance Team will also be performing two routines! Let's celebrate with Steve Zener, the fabulous Event Director, because this will be the Thirtieth Anniversary. This year's theme is Back to 'Z' Future! In addition to the usual competitions & social dancing, this unique event also has ice cream socials, pizza parties, a Gong Show, a Karaoke Party, entertaining skits, & surprising costumes (wondering what Steve will be this time)! See website for more info: www.FreznoDance.com.
*Please check out the "New Highlights" section below for more updates.
Call You Out!
Here is where we get to pick on our readers (instead of each other)!
Another week off for everybody :-)
Tune-up Your Playlist
We want to share with you our favorite songs of the week!
Mindia's Pick: "Keep It Coming" by B.B. King & Heavy D... Blues meets Hip Hop haha!! (WCS)
Phil's Pick: "I Want It All" by Karmin (WCS) (Phil said, "Are you happier now, Joe???")
Please let us know if you have songs to add, or other ideas for our Newsletter Re-birthing. And thank you Shavonne, for suggesting to add song choices.
Takin' Care of Business
* DANCE DVD'S!
We have two new DVD's coming out very soon... Beginner West Coast Swing & Intermediate West Coast Swing! Stay tuned for more details. They are almost ready... for real.
* Please add our new joint business e-mail to your contact/address book, to avoid Spam difficulties: info@PhilAndMindiaDance.com Please use this contact for any future communications.
* Our next 1st SATURDAY WORKSHOP & SWING DANCE EVENT at the Hacienda Hotel is May 3rd, 2014! (Click link at the top for details.) WE ARE YOUR DJs FOR THE NIGHT! (Must be at least 21 years old to attend any Hacienda workshops, classes, or dances.) SAVE THESE UPCOMING DATES for the next few 1st Saturday Events: June 7th, & July 5th (Phil's Bday Party), August 2nd, & September 13th (Mindia's Bday Party), 2014! *NOTE* The event is on the 2nd Saturday just for the month of September.
* We will teach at the Christian Country Round-up Dance the 3rd Saturday, April 19th at the Clubhouse in Placentia (formerly the Atomic). This Dance is open for anybody to come. We will teach Intermediate Country 2-Step at 6:45 pm, & Intermediate West Coast Swing at 7:30 pm. Open Dancing at 8:15 pm (a mix of music). FISRT TIMERS FREE (except on a few special occasions). We are both available for private lessons there, but with limited space & time slots. Please schedule in advance.
* All of our classes are drop-in (some do run in a series). No partner needed for any of our classes. No prior dance experience needed for Beginner classes. Two left feet are welcomed; we will introduce you to your right foot! (Phil wanted credit for that last comment.)
* Come out for classes & dancing on THURSDAYS at the HACIENDA! (For details click here: Class Schedule) I teach a FREE Beginner 1 West Coast Swing (Intro) class at 6:30 pm every Thursday.
* Once you have moved up from our Beginner level classes to Intermediate and then later Advanced, you are welcome to continue taking our Beginner classes for FREE! We want to encourage you to continue working on your basics; that is most important to develop a strong foundation. The best dancers usually are the ones who have worked on their basics for years. When you keep taking Beginner classes, you are also helping the new students to progress faster, since they get to rotate & dance with more experienced dancers.
* HACIENDA HOTEL SUPPORT NEEDED: As you may have heard, new owners have taken over the hotel. It is crucial that we show them that the dancing brings in significant revenue. We need to do all that we can to keep this amazing venue for dancing alive! Please support the bar w/ a minimum purchase. If you order food from Sheila or the bartenders, the bill will go towards the bar tab for the night, which is helpful. Ordering food directly from the restaurant does not count towards the evening's bar tab. There are now four dance floors, so spread the word & bring your friends. PARKING: There is a Hacienda parking lot across the street (entrance on Mariposa St.). Three hours free with validation at the bar (just buy a drink or food).
We hope that you have enjoyed this episode of "As the Dancer Turns..." I know that we have! Stay tuned for more entertaining issues.
Please explore our website for more info. We are also available for private dance lessons. Send us Facebook friend requests if you want to be informed/updated by our Newsfeed and Wall Posts. Pease forward this to friends to spread the word!
Hope to see you dancing soon,
Mindia... & Phil ;-)