Friday April 11th, 2014
Hello to our Dance Family!
Welcome to Phil Adams & Mindia Robin's Newsletter: "As the Dancer Turns..."
Time to take another spin with this uplifting issue.
Soap Opera Snippets
A Day in the Life of...
First Things First...
We need to clear up a rumor that started over the weekend while we were at the City of Angels Dance Event. A picture was posted on Facebook of Phil holding a baby; it was not one of his grandkids. Somebody who knows us quite well, found it amusing to post a comment congratulating us for having a baby. He complimented me for hiding it so well. Thanks Robert Cordoba, for making people who haven't seen me in a while think I was pregnant! And to think that I am even old enough to be a mom. Phil just added, "I would really get a kick out of seeing her change a poopie diaper. Although how could Mindia care for a baby; she has her hands full just trying to take care of me!" He has a good point there. Just now I gave him a hard time for eating a sweet tart. Why? Because he just spent three hours yesterday getting dental work done. Maybe he wants another cavity, to go along with the three he just had fixed. Oh, & before I forget, the baby that Phil was holding belongs to Ronnie D, the Event Director.
And the Winner Is...
That story reminds me, I most definitely am ahead in our health contest. Last night Phil made chocolate chip cookies; he ate four & I only had two. And then he had potato chips for dessert. (And Phil bought it all at the market, without my consent.) And then he said that he only bought the treats to get me to eat more. Going to bed last night, he said that he needed to get up early to go to the gym in the morning so he doesn't gain more weight. Maybe a better idea is to eat less cookies & chips at midnight. Phil wants to know if he can throw away my bag of chips from last week. Sure, but don't touch the new bag that you bought me yesterday.
2nd Saturday Event
We expect that you all have plans for this Saturday, to join us at the Hacienda for our monthly event! Just for the month of April, it is on the 2nd Saturday. We will have Open Dancing with DJ Jumpin' Jack, & Steve Zener & Heather Rappaport are coming out to play!
By the way, we are on our way home from the Hacienda right now & finishing up with this episode. I am reading the newsletter back to Phil, while I am proof-reading it. I told him that he should be reading it over with me, since no writer can catch all of their own mistakes. He first said that he couldn't because he was driving. Then he revealed the truth, "Like I am going to catch any mistakes?" What was I thinking? He is right at least once in a while. I'll let him stick to the driving.
FYI: Make sure to read the "Call You Out" section below, every Newsletter. You might be in there...
A Few Shameless Plugs
*DJ NIGHT HACIENDA: Join us for classes & dancing on Thursday, April 17th. We are your DJs for the night after our usual classes!
*Join us on April 26th for Rhonda Diamond's 4th Saturday Dance in San Pedro! We will teach an Intermediate West Coast Swing class at 7:30 pm. Then we will DJ at 8:30 pm for the night. Our Hacienda Dance Team will also debut a new routine! For details, go to www.DiamondSwing.com.
*The FREZNO DANCE CLASSIC EVENT is coming Memorial Day Weekend in May! We are very excited for this fun event. We will be teaching a workshop, & our Hacienda Dance Team will also be performing two routines! Let's celebrate with Steve Zener, the fabulous Event Director, because this will be the Thirtieth Anniversary. This year's theme is Back to 'Z' Future! In addition to the usual competitions & social dancing, this unique event also has ice cream socials, pizza parties, a Gong Show, a Karaoke Party, entertaining skits, & surprising costumes (wondering what Steve will be this time)! See website for more info: www.FreznoDance.com.
*Please check out the "New Highlights" section below for more updates.
Call You Out!
Here is where we get to pick on our readers (instead of each other)!
Phil is calling out Joe, who gave him a hard time after the last newsletter's song pick (Phil chose "More Bounce in California"). Joe said that he couldn't get the song out of his head. Phil said that was karma paying him back. Phil was thrilled when he heard that song played at the City of Angels event. He was even more thrilled when one of his students said that she loved his song pick. You should have seen the look on Joe's face tonight at the Hacienda dance when DJ Anne played the song, & dedicated it to Joe! Of course that was Phil's mischief. Phil says, "Watch out Joe. I may pick it again this time." Don't worry Joe, I won't let that happen. I have the final say. You will owe me one.
Tune-up Your Playlist
We want to share with you our favorite songs of the week!
Mindia's Pick: "Latch" by Disclosure feat. Sam Smith (WCS)
Phil's Pick: "Home Sweet Home" by Nelly vs Lynyrd Skynyrd (WCS)
Please let us know if you have songs to add, or other ideas for our Newsletter Re-birthing. And thank you Shavonne, for suggesting to add song choices.
Takin' Care of Business
* DANCE DVD'S!
We have two new DVD's coming out very soon... Beginner West Coast Swing & Intermediate West Coast Swing! Stay tuned for more details. They are almost ready... for real.
* Please add our new joint business e-mail to your contact/address book, to avoid Spam difficulties: info@PhilAndMindiaDance.com Please use this contact for any future communications.
* Our next 1st SATURDAY WORKSHOP & DANCE EVENT at the Hacienda Hotel is April 12th, 2014! (Click link at the top for details.) Open Dancing with DJ Jumpin' Jack! (Must be at least 21 years old to attend any Hacienda workshops. classes, or dances.) *NOTE* This event is on the 2nd Saturday, just for the month of April. SAVE THESE UPCOMING DATES for the next few 1st Saturday Events: May 3rd, June 7th, & July 5th, 2014!
* We will teach at the Christian Country Round-up Dance the 3rd Saturday, April 19th at the Clubhouse in Placentia (formerly the Atomic). This Dance is open for anybody to come. We will teach Intermediate Country 2-Step at 6:45 pm, & Intermediate West Coast Swing at 7:30 pm. Open Dancing at 8:15 pm (a mix of music). FISRT TIMERS FREE (except on a few special occasions). We are both available for private lessons there, but with limited space & time slots. Please schedule in advance.
* All of our classes are drop-in (some do run in a series). No partner needed for any of our classes. No prior dance experience needed for Beginner classes. Two left feet are welcomed; we will introduce you to your right foot! (Phil wanted credit for that last comment.)
* Come out for classes & dancing on THURSDAYS at the HACIENDA! (For details click here: Class Schedule) I teach a FREE Beginner 1 West Coast Swing (Intro) class at 6:30 pm every Thursday.
* Once you have moved up from our Beginner level classes to Intermediate and then later Advanced, you are welcome to continue taking our Beginner classes for FREE! We want to encourage you to continue working on your basics; that is most important to develop a strong foundation. The best dancers usually are the ones who have worked on their basics for years. When you keep taking Beginner classes, you are also helping the new students to progress faster, since they get to rotate & dance with more experienced dancers.
* HACIENDA HOTEL SUPPORT NEEDED: As you may have heard, new owners have taken over the hotel. It is crucial that we show them that the dancing brings in significant revenue. We need to do all that we can to keep this amazing venue for dancing alive! Please support the bar w/ a minimum purchase. If you order food from Sheila or the bartenders, the bill will go towards the bar tab for the night, which is helpful. Ordering food directly from the restaurant does not count towards the evening's bar tab. There are now four dance floors, so spread the word & bring your friends. PARKING: There is a Hacienda parking lot across the street (entrance on Mariposa St.). Three hours free with validation at the bar (just buy a drink or food).
We hope that you have enjoyed this episode of "As the Dancer Turns..." I know that we have! Stay tuned for more entertaining issues.
Please explore our website for more info. We are also available for private dance lessons. Send us Facebook friend requests if you want to be informed/updated by our Newsfeed and Wall Posts. Pease forward this to friends to spread the word!
Hope to see you dancing soon,
Mindia... & Phil ;-)