Monday December 22nd, 2014
Hello to our Dance Family!
Welcome to Phil Adams & Mindia Robin's Newsletter: "As the Dancer Turns..."
Time to take another spin with this uplifting issue.
Soap Opera Snippets
A Day in the Life of...
For those of you who missed our Halloween Party at the Hacienda, Baby Philindia is doing well! And we hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving holiday. We are especially grateful to have such an amazing dance family to share our passion with! Thank you for being a part of our lives. We love you guys!
You can tell we haven't done a newsletter in a while since we are talking about Halloween! The last few months have been crazy busy for us; but we have not forgotten about you. The biggest reason why there has been so little time is that I went back to school for the first time in many (many) years, for more dance training! I have a B.S. degree in Physical Therapy from Temple University, from a time so long ago that we were not using computers or cell phones yet (how did we ever survive?). I am so fortunate now to have a different career teaching dance for a living, with the help from my sweetheart Phil Adams. It has been a dream of mine to go back to school for more formal education in dance. I have had lots of homework for my jazz, ballet, & modern dance classes (I forgot how much work there was). So I am an official student at Cal State University, Long Beach (which is three miles from where we now live); you should see my student ID card with my ballet bun hairdo! It has been an amazing experience, & I am planning for my next semester. I originally had enrolled in four classes, but soon realized that it was overwhelming. I dropped the hip hop class, but I really liked the teacher, & I encouraged you know who take the class instead. I didn't really think he would (on rare occasion, it is good for me to be wrong!), since he had never been to college before. Not only did he have the courage to take the class... but he also is getting an A! I forget to mention that I am getting A's in my three classes! My new name is Wonder Woman, & now my Dad calls & asks for "Hip Hop Phil from Victorville!"
Just to give you a visual of life here at home... Recently I was in my office & heard Phil coming down the steps with a big crash & bang & then our house alarm went off. I was afraid to go & look. Yes, he had fallen down the steps and kicked the door which set off the alarm. He got lucky & is ok (only a few bumps & bruises), so I can tease him. I think he had been overdoing it lately, with the hip hop & a new drill sergeant trainer at the gym (probably to try & keep up with me). When I asked him how he fell, he admitted that his calves were so sore that he couldn't walk normally down the steps & slipped. Need I say more? (Don't miss another fun story below. Read on...)
*SWINGIN' the CLUB 12/30/14: No classes at Memories in Whittier on Tuesday, December 30th (see holiday schedule below for more info). Instead, Phil will be helping me teach my usual Intermediate West Coast Swing (WCS) class at 6:30 pm at the Hacienda! He is also the Guest Instructor for Swingin' the Club, & will teach the Advanced WCS class at 7:30 pm! I will teach my usual Beginner WCS class at 7:30 pm (FREE for first timers); we will then DJ the dance at 8:30pm! Don't miss this last great swing night of 2014!
*NEW YEAR'S EVE: We are sorry to tell you that we are not hosting the New Year's Eve Swing Dance this year; we plan on doing something next year. (Now we have no plans. Hmm...)
*1st SATURDAY WORKSHOP & SWING DANCE 1/3/15: We are having our usual 1st Saturday Workshop & Swing Dance Event at the Hacienda on January 3rd, 2015! (See link above for details.)
*DJ NIGHTS 1/8/15 & 1/29/15: Upcoming DJ nights for us on Thursdays at the Hacienda for the Swing Dance after our usual classes: January 8th & 29th, 2015.
*CCR DANCE 1/17/15: Guest Instructors at 3rd Saturday CCR Dance in OC (details below) on January 17th, 2015.
*PBDA 1/25/15: Guest instructors at the Pasadena Ballroom Dance Association in Pasadena (details below) on Sunday, January 25th, 2015.
*HACIENDA HOTEL SCOOP: Unfortunately there are some rumors going around about the dancing being discontinued at the Hacienda. The management has not given us any indication thus far that they will be cancelling the dancing. We talk to the food & bar manager on a weekly basis, so here is what we know to be true:
1. The hotel was sold, & new owners took over quite some time ago.
2. The hotel will be remodeled over time; bigger renovations will begin in February. There will be two hotels, a Marriott & a Loft. And the bar, restaurant, & banquet areas will remain the Hacienda Conference Center.
3. The forth dance floor has been removed; it is temporarily being used as an employee cafeteria during reconstruction. We knew that was going to happen, but didn't know the exact time frame as the plans had been changed a number of times.
4. The hotel restaurant will be closed for a period of time while hotel rooms are being remodeled (probably starting in February).
5. This is the most recent update, but we have no guarantees. The best thing we can do is to support the bar/dancing as much as possible so the management stays convinced that they need us! Please make a purchase every time you come to the Hacienda, & encourage everyone to come dancing to keep this amazing & unique venue alive!
Ok, time for some levity! So lately I have been feeling pretty good about my new Wonder Woman status, but my bubble got burst when we stopped at the Wafflelicious food truck. Phil & I were at a dance & ordered something to eat. Would you believe that the guy working in the food truck said hi & knew Phil's name??? Really? He is that famous? And I thought that Phil receiving the Hall of Fame award was the highest honor in this community haha! (Btw, Phil just clarified that it wasn't just the California Swing Dance Hall of Fame, it was also the World Swing Dance Hall of Fame award.) I have no comeback. I got nothin'. I didn't know that was possible. Maybe I just need a few minutes. I'll be back.
*HOLIDAY SCHEDULE: Classes cancelled on the following locations & dates:
Memories in Whittier: Tuesday, December 30th, 2014 (Yes, there are usual classes at the Hacienda on this date. Phil & Mindia will be teaching & DJing; see above section under "Swingin' the Club."
High Desert Dance Company in Lancaster: Wednesdays, December 24th (Christmas Eve) & December 31st (New Year's Eve)
Hacienda Hotel in El Segundo: Thursdays, December 25th, 2014 (Christmas day), & January 1st, 2015 (New Year's day)
Unless noted above, all classes are ongoing through the holidays, & we are available for private lessons.
PHIL & I WANT TO WISH YOU SAFE & HAPPY HOLIDAYS, & A HAPPY NEW YEAR! MAKE SURE YOUR NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS INCLUDE SPENDING MORE MONEY ON US & MORE DANCING! :-)
Don't Miss Out!
Make sure you read the "CALL YOU OUT" section below every newsletter; you may be in there! Also check below in "TUNE-UP YOUR PLAYLIST" for two new songs! THERE ARE EIGHT SONG PICKS THIS TIME SINCE IT'S BEEN A WHILE!
Dance DVDs! We have two new DVDs available, Beginner & Intermediate WCS. Great news! You can now purchase them with a credit card, in person or through our web store! You can come to the Hacienda Hotel tonight to get them! More info about payment & options under Highlights.
*PUNCH CARDS! We both have punch cards available for purchase: ten classes for $100 w/ the eleventh class free. (Separate punch cards for Phil & I.) Our punch cards will expire six months from the purchase date. We do take credit cards.
*EXCITING NEWS... We are adding a new section on our website with special offers! So be sure to visit regularly for deals & discounts. The first offer is on there now!
A Shameless Plug
*1st TIMERS FREE for my Beginner WCS class on Tuesdays at 7:30pm at the Hacienda Hotel... bring your friends!
*Please check the "Highlights" section below for more info.
Call You Out!
Here is where we get to pick on our readers (instead of each other)!
Our holiday gift to you is not calling anyone out this time... enjoy it while it lasts haha!
Tune-up Your Playlist
We want to share with you our favorite songs of the week! Here are some extra picks, since it has been a while!
Mindia's Picks: "Uptown Funk" by Mark Ronson featuring Bruno Mars, "Neighborhood" by Drizabone, "Sugar" by Maroon 5, & "Cut to Black" by Lemaitre (all WCS)
Phil's Picks: "Sugar" by Chris Jamison, "All Hands on Deck" by Tinashe, "Party Girl" by Craig Morgan, & "Midnight" by Mac Graham (all WCS)
Please let us know if you have songs to add, or other ideas for our Newsletter Re-birthing. And thank you Shavonne, for suggesting to add song choices.
Takin' Care of Business
* DANCE DVD'S!: Payment & Options: DVDs are $35 each. Bring your cash or checkbooks to upcoming classes, dances & events; if you buy DVDs in person with cash or check, we will treat for the tax! Credit card payments are now available in person, or through our web store. (In person there is a $30 minimum charge.) You can also order your DVDs through our website, & click the "pick up at class" shipping option (to avoid shipping charges).
* Please add our joint business e-mail to your contact/address book, to avoid Spam difficulties: info@PhilAndMindiaDance.com Please use this contact for any future communications.
* UPCOMING 1st SATURDAY WORKSHOP & SWING DANCE EVENTS at the Hacienda Hotel:
(Click link at the top for details.) (Must be at least 21 years old to attend any Hacienda workshops. classes, or dances.) SAVE THESE UPCOMING DATES: JANUARY 3rd, FEBRUARY 7th, & MARCH 7th, 2015. We are always your DJs, unless otherwise noted.
* UPCOMING Saturday, JANUARY 17th: GUEST INSTRUCTORS CHRISTIAN COUNTRY ROUND-UP DANCE: You can usually find us at the Clubhouse in Placentia (formerly the Atomic) on the 3rd Saturday of each month at the CCR Dance. We teach two Intermediate classes: 6:45 pm TBA & 7:25 pm West Coast Swing (must know your basics). This Dance is open for anybody to come. There is always a theme & treats! (There are also Beginner classes.) Open Dancing is a mix of music. FIRST TIMERS FREE (except on a few special occasions). We are both available for private lessons there, but with limited space & time slots. Please schedule in advance. (Location: The Clubhouse 733 Dunn Way, Placentia, CA 92870). Details coming...
* UPCOMING SUNDAY, JANUARY 25TH: GUEST INSTRUCTORS PASADENA BALLROOM DANCE ASSOCIATION: 6:30 pm Intermediate West Coast Swing. Social Dancing 7:30 to 9 pm. PBDA co-owners are the lovely Tami & Erin Stevens. Cost: $15 for the lesson & dance; $10 for the dance only. Location: 73 N. Hill Ave., Pasadena, CA 91106.
* All of our classes are drop-in (some do run in a series). No partner needed for any of our classes. No prior dance experience needed for Beginner classes. Two left feet are welcomed; we will introduce you to your right foot! (Phil wanted credit for that last comment.)
* Come out for classes & dancing on THURSDAYS at the HACIENDA! (For details click link at the top: Weekly Classes Hacienda.) I teach a FREE Beginner 1 West Coast Swing (Intro) class at 6:30 pm every Thursday.
* Once you have moved up from our Beginner level classes to Intermediate and then later Advanced, you are welcome to continue taking our Beginner classes for FREE! We want to encourage you to continue working on your basics; that is most important to develop a strong foundation. The best dancers usually are the ones who have worked on their basics for years. When you keep taking Beginner classes, you are also helping the new students to progress faster, since they get to rotate & dance with more experienced dancers.
* HACIENDA HOTEL SUPPORT NEEDED: As you may have heard, new owners have taken over the hotel. It is crucial that we show them that the dancing brings in significant revenue. We need to do all that we can to keep this amazing venue for dancing alive! Please support the bar w/ a minimum purchase. If you order food from Sheila or the bartenders, the bill will go towards the bar tab for the night, which is helpful. Ordering food from the restaurant does not count towards the evening's bar tab. There are now four dance floors, so spread the word & bring your friends. PARKING: There is a Hacienda parking lot across the street (entrance on Mariposa St.). One and a half hours free with validation at the bar (just buy a drink or food).
We hope that you have enjoyed this episode of "As the Dancer Turns..." I know that we have! Stay tuned for more entertaining issues.
Please explore our website for more info. We are also available for private dance lessons. Send us Facebook friend requests if you want to be informed/updated by our Newsfeed and Wall Posts. Pease forward this to friends to spread the word!
Hope to see you dancing soon,
Mindia... & Phil ;-)