Saturday October 4th, 2014
Hello to our Dance Family!
Welcome to Phil Adams & Mindia Robin's Newsletter: "As the Dancer Turns..."
Time to take another spin with this uplifting issue.
Soap Opera Snippets
A Day in the Life of...
The truth is... pretty much everyday day there is some material gained about Phil, worthy of storytelling in the newsletter! It's not that I pick on him a lot (although it's more than a little); it's that these amusing stories need to be shared with someone! And I don't seem to have that many things happen to me that you could give me a hard time about. It's no fault of my own. Well now that we got that out of the way, let me tell you what happened.
Saturday night we went to see a Modern dance concert at the Cal State Long Beach Performing Arts Center. Phil was quite dressy; he wore black pants, a white shirt, a black velvet vest, and a black skinny tie. Yes, my date looked so handsome, perhaps too handsome, since he probably looked better than I did. Ok, time out. I just suggested making a GQ magazine joke, but instead Phil just asked me what the name was of that senior discount thing AAR something P? (Do they have a GQ edition for the seniors?) Really? How would a young woman who is Forever 21 know the answer to that? Anyway, I went to the ladies room before the show started; when I came out, Phil had a look of irritation on his face. In the few minutes that I had been gone, three ladies (at three different times) had come up to him asking to help them find their seats! I didn't know that Phil had "Usher" experience on his resume! Phil said that that was the last time he was going with a black & white theme when choosing his outfit for a show.
Don't forget that today is OCTOBER 4th, OUR BIG 1st SATURDAY WORKSHOP & SWING DANCE at the HACIENDA HOTEL... OUR HACIENDA DANCE TEAM PERFORMS TWO ROUTINES!
Join us for another great party! (See link above for details.)
And if you miss our Dance Team tonight, then come see them at the PARADISE COUNTRY & SWING DANCE FESTIVAL, on the 3rd weekend of October. I (as in Mindia, not the Usher guy), will be teaching a workshop on Saturday, October 18th at 11 am: Take a Peek at Your Technique... Body Movements & Turns! Then our Team will perform later that afternoon. Go to www.ParadiseCountryDanceFestival.com for more info.
Phil needs you to know that we are sitting here now writing at his desk; I am typing as usual, and he is feeding me cheese puffs so that I don't turn his computer keyboard orange! How romantic. So how do we segway from cheese puffs to our hair story? It's after midnight, so there is no time to answer that question.
Just before my birthday last month, I got a little wild and had my hair colored with some purple swirls (too bad it's so dark at the Hacienda). And btw, it only took Phil three days to notice. So, he must have thought that he needed to out-do me, because shortly after my surprise, Phil made a hair appointment at new salon in Long Beach called Flaunt. I was expecting the same hairstyle that he had been wearing for years. But I got a text message from him while at the salon which said, "How about a complete change? What do you think about the styled forward look, with a spikey top?" I replied, "Sure, it will go great with my purple swirls!" His new hair stylist said that it was time to get rid of his old boxy look, and get something cool and hip, to go along with his line of work. I'm adding "... and to keep up with his hot girlfriend!"
UPCOMING THURSDAYS OCTOBER 9th and 30th: we are your DJs at the HACIENDA HOTEL after our usual classes!
Don't Miss Out!
Make sure you read the "CALL YOU OUT" section below every newsletter; you may be in there!
Also check below in "TUNE-UP YOUR PLAYLIST" for two new songs!
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 30th: HALLOWEEN COSTUME PARTY at the HACIENDA! We are your DJs & Hosts. Yes, there will be candy. What costume shall I make Phil dress up in? Last year I agreed to do a Nascar theme with him; this year is my call.
We have two new DVDs available, Beginner & Intermediate WCS. Great news! You can now purchase them with a credit card, in person or through our web store! You can come to the Hacienda Hotel tonight to get them! More info about payment & options under Highlights.
We both have punch cards available for purchase: ten classes for $100 w/ the eleventh class free. (Separate punch cards for Phil & I.) Our punch cards will expire six months from the purchase date. We do take credit cards.
We are adding a new section on our website with special offers! So be sure to visit regularly for deals & discounts. The first offer is on there now!
A Shameless Plug
*1st TIMERS FREE for my Beginner WCS class on Tuesdays at 7:30pm at the Hacienda Hotel... bring your friends!
*Please check the "Highlights" section below for more info.
Call You Out!
Here is where we get to pick on our readers (instead of each other)!
Last week's winner for the free class was Frank. He came in early on Thursday, exclaiming, "Phil is more popular, Phil is more popular!" I asked him how could he betray me? He said only for a free class. Ok then, as long as the reason wasn't because it was actually true!
Tune-up Your Playlist
We want to share with you our favorite songs of the week!
Mindia's Pick: "Hunter" by Pharrell Williams (WCS)
Phil's Pick: "Can't Let Go" by Faydee (WCS)
Please let us know if you have songs to add, or other ideas for our Newsletter Re-birthing. And thank you Shavonne, for suggesting to add song choices.
Takin' Care of Business
* NEW DANCE DVD'S!
Payment & Options: DVDs are $35 each. Bring your cash or checkbooks to upcoming classes, dances & events; if you buy DVDs in person with cash or check, we will treat for the tax! Credit card payments are now available in person, or through our web store. (In person there is a $30 minimum charge.) You can also order your DVDs through our website, & click the "pick up at class" shipping option (to avoid shipping charges).
* Please add our new joint business e-mail to your contact/address book, to avoid Spam difficulties: info@PhilAndMindiaDance.com. Please use this contact for any future communications.
* UPCOMING 1st SATURDAY WORKSHOP & SWING DANCE EVENTS at the Hacienda Hotel (Click link at the top for details.) (Must be at least 21 years old to attend any Hacienda workshops. classes, or dances.) SAVE THESE UPCOMING DATES: October 4th (Our Hacienda Dance Team Performs), November 1st, & December 6th, 2014! We are always your DJs, unless otherwise noted.
* UPCOMING OCTOBER 18th: GUEST INSTRUCTORS CHRISTIAN COUNTRY ROUND-UP DANCE
You can usually find us at the Clubhouse in Placentia (formerly the Atomic) on the 3rd Saturday of each month at the CCR Dance. The next Event is October 18th. This Dance is open for anybody to come. There is always a theme & treats! (There are also Beginner classes.) Open Dancing is a mix of music. FIRST TIMERS FREE (except on a few special occasions). We are both available for private lessons there, but with limited space & time slots. Please schedule in advance. (Location: The Clubhouse 733 Dunn Way, Placentia, CA 92870). Details coming...
* All of our classes are drop-in (some do run in a series). No partner needed for any of our classes. No prior dance experience needed for Beginner classes. Two left feet are welcomed; we will introduce you to your right foot! (Phil wanted credit for that last comment.)
* Come out for classes & dancing on THURSDAYS at the HACIENDA! (For details click link at the top: Weekly Classes Hacienda.) I teach a FREE Beginner 1 West Coast Swing (Intro) class at 6:30 pm every Thursday.
* Once you have moved up from our Beginner level classes to Intermediate and then later Advanced, you are welcome to continue taking our Beginner classes for FREE! We want to encourage you to continue working on your basics; that is most important to develop a strong foundation. The best dancers usually are the ones who have worked on their basics for years. When you keep taking Beginner classes, you are also helping the new students to progress faster, since they get to rotate & dance with more experienced dancers.
* HACIENDA HOTEL SUPPORT NEEDED: As you may have heard, new owners have taken over the hotel. It is crucial that we show them that the dancing brings in significant revenue. We need to do all that we can to keep this amazing venue for dancing alive! Please support the bar w/ a minimum purchase. If you order food from Sheila or the bartenders, the bill will go towards the bar tab for the night, which is helpful. Ordering food from the restaurant does not count towards the evening's bar tab. There are now four dance floors, so spread the word & bring your friends. PARKING: There is a Hacienda parking lot across the street (entrance on Mariposa St.). One and a half hours free with validation at the bar (just buy a drink or food).
We hope that you have enjoyed this episode of "As the Dancer Turns..." I know that we have! Stay tuned for more entertaining issues.
Please explore our website for more info. We are also available for private dance lessons. Send us Facebook friend requests if you want to be informed/updated by our Newsfeed and Wall Posts. Pease forward this to friends to spread the word!
Hope to see you dancing soon,
Mindia... & Phil ;-)